Do you thrive in a fast paced environment? Do you believe in providing exceptional service to customers and co-workers alike? Are you eager to get your foot in the door with a unique and expanding organization?
At the Staymaker restaurant and bar at Journeyman Distillery, we pride ourselves on providing well-rounded, efficient service. Our award-winning spirits, whether served neat or in one of our handmade cocktails, deserve to have their story told. The Barback is instrumental to keeping the bar stocked and running smoothly, providing our Bartenders the appropriate breathing room to engage with each guest appropriately. The Barback role is also a great training ground for those with ambitions to tend bar themselves.
At Journeyman Distillery, we believe hard work and dedication deserve to be rewarded. To that end, we provide a comprehensive benefits and incentives package.
Here’s a peek at what you will receive as a Journeyman employee:
- Outstanding Growth Opportunity!
- Paid Time Off – begins accruing on Day 1
- 401(k) with Employer Match available Day 1
- Medical Insurance – 30+ hours/week
- Dental, Vision, Life, Supplemental Insurance options – 20+ hours/week
- Free Monthly Bottle of Spirit (21+)
- Unlimited $300 Referral Bonuses
- Loyalty Incentives (ask about our 5-Year Bottle Reward!)
- 25% Employee Discount
- Monthly Founders' Tour with Bill and Johanna Welter
- Annual Employee Putting Competition
- 3 Annual Employee Parties
- Shoes for Crews (Affordable Footwear)
All team members must uphold and embody Journeyman’s Core Values which represent the culture, attitude, and immediate priorities ensuring our cohesion and success.
- Having a positive attitude that no challenge is too great
- Understanding that goals worth pursuing are never easy; that perseverance, grit, and determination are essential to success
- There is no substitute for grit and putting in the time and effort. Good things will come from those efforts
- 10,000-hour rule. Malcom Gladwell: it takes 10,000 hours of intensive practice to be great
ALWAYS A JOURNEYMAN
- Excellence is a lifelong pursuit and mastery is an illusion
- The joy is in the daily work and pursuit of excellence, not in the final destination
- A focus on continual improvement and doing our best
- Treating every customer with the mindset that they are the business’s 1st ever customer
- Treating customers with authenticity, kindness, warmth, care, friendliness; engaging, helpful and willing to offer a magical experience
- Clean facilities
- Being available to the customer and timely responses in any capacity
- This mindset extends to our vendors, suppliers, partners, and especially our fellow employees
- Never take the customer or employee for granted
- 362 and 59:59+ We are open to our customers 362 days a year and we set an unwavering standard of serving our customers up till the last closing second 59:59+ and beyond if needed.
- Taking pride and ownership in your work
- Engagement and active participation in your work and company activities
- Being a positive force in the workplace; creating a culture of positivity
- Extending common courtesy to self, employees, vendors, and guests
- Being an evangelist and promoter of the company and brand
- Make sure that the bar is clean before opening.
- Greet all guests with an appropriate and warm greeting.
- Stay customer focused and nurture an excellent customer experience.
- Collect empty glasses from the bar and tables.
- Always ensure there is enough clean glassware, and wash glassware regularly.
- Monitor chemicals for glasswasher.
- Make sure coolers are clean and organized.
- Wipe down tables and bar tops.
- Restock ice as needed.
- Prepare fruit garnishes for cocktails and make sure that we have backups.
- Restock and replenish bar inventory and supplies.
- Ensure there is always enough backup liquor behind the bar.
- Collect trash and dirty towels throughout the day.
- Maintain clean rags in each bartender’s station.
- Comply with all food and beverage regulations.
- Help the bartender with anything that he/she needs.
- Performing basic cleaning tasks as needed or as directed by supervisor.
- Filling in for absent staff as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring work area(s) are stocked with items that will be needed while on shift.
- Ensure that work stations are properly refilled at the end of every shift.
- Assist with special events as requested.
- Handle any problems that might arise both courteously and professionally.
- Consistently adhere to grooming and appearance standards set by the company.
- Understand and can communicate to guests our available food and beverage products, as well as Journeyman/Staymaker accommodations and services.
- Must have some familiarity with basic food prepping procedures and cooking methods.
- Must speak English fluently, and be able to write in basic English.
- Ability to visually inspect food and beverage orders, read order forms and ensure that orders comply with the customer’s request.
- Ability to perform moderate physical work; may be required to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 25 pounds of food trays carrying over their head constantly and performing such activities as bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting and grasping for up to five hours without sitting.