For 27 years, Public Allies has been a pioneer in developing and deploying high-impact leaders (aka Allies) from marginalized communities, they've shaped culture, changed policy, and transformed communities across the country. As an original AmeriCorps program, our apprenticeships have helped thousands of young adults, discover, develop, and leverage their leadership potential, and learn how to apply creative problem-solving skills to systemic challenges. Combating social injustice is core to who we are. To do so, Public Allies activates a national network of local leaders to dismantle systemic racism and ensure the future is designed by and for everyone. Our signature AmeriCorps program operates in 24 cities across the country. Annually, 600 young adults graduate from the program, with over 75% continuing careers in community and public service. There are more than 8,000 alumni of the program across the country.
The Senior Development Associate is a member of Public Allies’ Development Team and will be engaged in all aspects of fund development and communications. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will support the work of leadership through a variety of duties including all aspects of proposal development and grant reporting, donor presentation materials, digital communications, online giving campaigns, development collateral, and prospect research. This position provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced and ambitious development professional to provide leadership and expertise for all aspects of grants management, while working with a collegial team of experienced, committed, and mission-driven Development professionals.
• Lead all aspects of pre- and post-award grants management including (but not limited to), writing and preparation of grant proposals, donor solicitations and campaign materials, correspondence related to development activities and reporting.
• Track, draft, and edit interim and final grant reports.
• Draft, edit and format proposal materials (e.g., edit text for proposals and online applications, compile and update attachments, review and format budgets and budget narratives) and other required materials, as needed.
• Conduct donor research, including qualification and cultivation to help sustain annual operating needs and accomplish long-term fundraising goals.
• Identify prospective donors including individuals, corporations and foundations.
• In collaboration with Development staff, plan and coordinate donor stewardship activities.
• Maintain and improve donor databases and systems to: a) track contributions by project, by donor and by solicitation source; b) produce timely donor acknowledgements; and c) create reports as appropriate.
• Create and maintain up-to-date inventory of standard proposal attachments (e.g., financial statements, budgets, fact sheets, list of top annual donors, etc.).
• Work with the Development team to develop and maintain prospect and donor portfolios.
• Support the implementation and expansion of Public Allies fundraising efforts.
• Excellent writing skills – proposal writing experience preferred. Excellent communication, interpersonal and editing skills
• Minimum of three - five years of corporate and foundation relations support experience, or equivalent combination of training and work experience, preferably in fundraising, higher education or other non-profit setting
• Experience working with CRM systems -- Salesforce experience/expertise preferred
• Exceptional organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, and the ability to complete tasks in a systematic manner
• Flexible, adaptable and demonstrates ability to function as a team player in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
• Experience with and ability to use internal and external tools to conduct prospect research
• Excellent time management skills including ability to meet established goals and deadlines.
• Demonstrated passion for Public Allies’ vision of creating a just and equitable society and a discernible commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
• Strong work ethic and experience in working collaboratively with diverse teams
• Ability to learn quickly, balance competing priorities, adhere to deadlines and be flexible to accommodate new projects
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• National service (AmeriCorps) experience a plus
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, effort, requirements or expectations of this position. Management reserves the right to revise or amend this description to include or remove tasks as circumstances change and the needs of PA so dictate.
Public Allies is a national organization, and as such, the Senior Development Associate may be based anywhere in the continental United States. We offer a competitive salary, benefits and the chance to join an innovative and dedicated team passionate about our mission. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter indicating your reasons for interest in the position.
Public Allies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.