The Director of the Tennis Center is responsible for overseeing, setting the direction and managing all programming and daily operations of the Prospect Park Tennis Center, ensuring a high-quality visitor/patron experience and driving revenue growth and profitability of the Center. The Director is also responsible for leading a diverse team of administrative staff and tennis pro’s in addition to coordinating the work of contractors and vendors and collaborating with both Alliance operating departments and NYC Parks to maintain all facilities supporting tennis activities.
Please be aware that this position will start mid-February, 2021.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
Leadership, Strategy & Operations Management
- Collaborate with the AVP, Visitor Services to create an overall vision and strategy for revenue growth around Tennis Center programming.
- Oversee the day to day maintenance and operations of a complex public Tennis facility including 9 clay and 2 hard courts, seasonal bubbles, and a clubhouse.
- Develop business plan to ensure the growth and expansion in patrons of the Tennis Center; drive and improve overall financial health of the Tennis Center by growing revenue consistently year-over-year and actively monitoring and controlling expenses.
- Provide direction, training, supervision of the Tennis Center team including the Business Manager/Accountant, Head Pro/Director, Junior Development Program, Adult Program Coordinator, Senior Maintainer, and Maintainers.
- Direct the recruitment, contracting, supervision, mentoring, and evaluation of tennis instructors as needed for tennis programming.
- In collaboration with the Alliance’s Marketing department, develop and implement an effective marketing and promotional plan to support the growth and expansion of the Center including content for the website, advertising, social media, and other collateral.
Program Management and Partnership Development
- Cultivate and manage positive relationships with the public, partner organizations, and professional tennis organizations.
- Encourage tennis participation by planning and implementing events to promote the sport and provide social activities to the tennis members.
- Identify and establish new programs that will yield sustainable financial returns as well as enhance visitors’ experience at the Tennis Center.
- Oversee the execution of tennis programming, ensuring quality instruction and efficient administration.
- Establish annual operating budgets, quarterly financial forecasts, and business performance tracking systems.
- Ensure compliance with all contractual requirements between Prospect Park Alliance and NYC Parks
- Enforce all Alliance and NYC Parks policies, rules and regulation governing use of the Tennis Center.
- Work in close collaboration with the Alliance’s Design & Construction Office, COO/CFO, and AVP of Visitor Services to oversee a large capital project to cover all 11 courts with permanent structures
- Oversee the selection and successful implementation of new club management software
- Assess existing programs, staff structure, workflow, and operations and make changes as required
- Review and analyze revenue and other related department data to identify trends and opportunities for increased revenue and report on operating results.
- Maintain knowledge of the sport of tennis and maintenance of clay and hard courts.
- Travel to different locations in the park as needed to carry out duties.
- Work evenings, nights, and weekends as needed
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, sports management, or other relevant discipline.
- Coaching certification from USTPA or equivalent a plus.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ progressively responsible experience, of which at least five (5) years were in a managerial or leadership role running a major tennis center or an athletic team; a membership driven, recreational facility in a public setting; a for-profit commercial business, or customer-facing retail entity.
- A valid NYS Driver’s License.
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Tennis & Sports Center Management: Intimate knowledge of the sport of tennis including rules and regulations in addition to operating and leading a sports center including all relevant programming, facility management, customer and P/L management.
- Relationship Building: A natural relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to think strategically and build constructive and positive working relationships with internal stakeholders characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation and mutual respect.
- Communication Skills: Superior written and oral communication skills, including the ability to convey technical information in a clear, culturally competent and understandable manner. Demonstrates effective listening skills and openness to other people’s ideas and suggestions.
- Leadership: Promotes organizational mission and goals and demonstrates ways to achieve them. A natural leader with the ability to inspire and meaningfully engage colleagues in support of the work of the Tennis Center. Ability to gain other’s support for ideas, proposals and solutions. Ensures policies, procedures and measures are in place to support achievement of department goals.
- Staff Management & Coaching: Inspires confidence and motivates team members. Enables staff to grow and be successful in achieving goals through meaningful feedback, instruction, encouragement, support and professional development.
- Decision-Making & Judgment: Integrates broad knowledge of information sources, garners insight from abstract data that can be used to assess problems and exercises sound judgement to make decisions. Thoroughly analyzes impact of possible solutions and decisions and shares probable impacts based on experience. Is proactive in deciding best course of action, anticipating likely outcomes or implications.
- Organization & Accountability: Meticulously well-organized with diligent attention to detail, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and takes pride in consistently producing accurate, timely and quality work products with minimal supervision.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Results and Impact Focus: Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and highly motivated to consistently produce high quality work and achieve desired outcomes and results.
- Project & Budget Management: Makes effective decisions about department priorities. Proposes defensible budgets and works to control expenditures. Ensures appropriate resources are available to meet capability and capacity required by objectives. Ensures policies, procedures and measures are in place to support achievement of objectives.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent and responsive service to internal and external customers.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is performed in both an interior office setting which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual elements and in the field, which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions. Additionally, involves frequent exposure to challenging elements such as extreme dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, loud noises, chemicals, etc.
- Requires operating a motor vehicle and use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal.
- Requires minor physical exertion - lifting, pushing, and carrying, etc. up to 25 lbs. Regularly.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.