Center City Housing develops, owns and manages affordable housing properties for those most in need. But in truth, we’re here to help people move on with their lives. With our support, people in Duluth and around Minnesota are able to find access to stable housing and affordable rent. But we do more than put a roof over their heads, we also link them to services that will help them find stability in life.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid vacation and sick time.
Overview: The Accountant supports the mission of CCHC by developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll, accounting transactions and financial reporting for the organization and each of its assets and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
2. Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal audits, controls, and checks across all departments.
3. Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, general and entity accounting, etc.
4. Provide research, analysis, coordination and processing of routine accounting work, including ensuring accounting transactions, invoices, entries, billings, and balances are complete and accurate to meet schedules, deadlines, and accounting/regulatory standards.
5. Create, develop, and analyze manual and computerized reports and spreadsheets.
6. Develop, improve, and issue timely monthly financial reports for the Executive Director, Director of Finance and Operations, and Board of Directors.
7. Account reconciliation and analysis of prepaid expenses, deposits, and accrued expenses.
8. Ensure that financial transactions for cash, investments, payables, and receivables are properly processed and correctly charged or recorded.
9. Ensure accurate recording of reserve draws, construction draws, etc.
10. Prepare financial statements, tax returns, 1099s, and annual financial statements.
11. Ensure financial controls are followed for corporate and property operations.
12. Ensure financial policies and procedures including policies on procurement, travel policies, and competitive bids are adhered to in transactions.
13. Ensure business transactions are accounted for in accordance with CCHC policies and procedures.
14. Ensure smooth and accurate processing of payroll.
15. Complete journal entries including maintenance of recurring journal entries and allocations.
16. Coordinate monthly book close.
17. Work with outside CPA consultant, audit firm(s), property management companies, OCHRA, and Director of Finance and Operations to plan and coordinate annual financial audit.
18. Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
19. Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close.
20. Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
21. Prepare the monthly and quarterly 258, grant billing (GRH), employee billings, and start new work comp activities in a timely and accurate manner.
22. Track and report yearly ACA data, and review and approve 1094 and 1095 tax documents.
23. Implement procedures to ensure transactions properly flow between CCHC and management companies.
24. Communicate with management companies about general ledger and monthly reporting
25. Support budget development and forecasting activities.
26. Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
27. Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
28. Respond to inquiries from the Director of Finance and Operations, Executive Director, and other agency-wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
29. Coordinate and process computerized systems to ensure reliable and available accounting data, participating in enhancements, changes, and/or implementation of computer systems.
30. Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
31. Provide direct supervision and guidance of Accounting Associate.
32. Provide information, procedural assistance, and training to others.
33. Complete special projects as assigned.
A degree or equivalent experience in accounting or finance operations is required. Experience in real estate, property management, or non-profit management preferred. This person must pass and maintain Minnesota Background Study clearance.
• Ability to read, analyze, and complete documentation required by government agencies and communicate through speaking, listening, and writing effectively with outside agencies
• Proficient in all aspects of accounting and finance
• Demonstrated competency using computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and accounting software as well as ability to learn and use new systems as needed
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Aptitude for numbers and the ability to perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and calculating percentages
• Self-motivation and the ability to work independently including prioritizing job duties
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Skill in establishing and maintaining positive relationships with diverse clients, partners, and staff
• Regular attendance, reliability, and punctuality
• Sensitivity and effectiveness when dealing with people from diverse backgrounds and with special needs
Center City Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, sexual orientation/identity/expression, marital status or familial status.