ImOn Communications is the LOCAL choice for high-speed Internet, cable TV and phone service. We value the relationships we have with colleagues, customers, and members of our community and look forward to serving the area for many years to come. As we expand our service availability we are looking for a Network Engineer to be a part of the ImOn Difference! Our employees share a passion for “Creating Connections One Person at a Time” and fostering a fun and rewarding work environment.
General Statement of Duties:
Under the direction of the Manager of Network Planning and Engineering, this position will perform network engineering tasks in an exciting, fast-paced, high tech atmosphere. Working facilities include office environments; secure data centers, and remote content distribution hubs/shelters. Working atmosphere: 20% remote/ 80% office environment.
The selected individual will be a key member of the team responsible for the company's IP and Ethernet core and access layer data networks. These systems include management of various networking services and protocols such as MPLS, BGP, OSPF, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, TACACS, RADIUS and SNMP as well as proper traffic and QOS management of customer services. The position will be responsible for maintaining core infrastructure used to provide video, voice and data services. Additional responsibilities include managing customer facing network devices; evaluating, testing, and deploying new systems and applications to support the needs of the company; and handling both short-term tasks as well as long-term projects.
• Become familiar with all Voice, Video and Data technologies and participate in department on-call rotation.
• Assist other department team members with their duties as needed.
• Provide level III support to the ImOn NOC.
• Provide recommendations for and participate in the design, budget, documentation and training for all functions of this position.
Essential Job Responsibilities for Primary Functional Area of Accountability
• Establishes network specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols.
• Establishes network by evaluating and resolving network performance issues including availability, utilization, latency and security; planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment; defining network policies and procedures; establishing connections and firewalls; engineers redundancy for certain network systems.
• Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting network problems; escalating problems to vendor.
• Secures network by developing network access policies, monitoring, control, and evaluation; maintaining documentation.
• Responsible for the monitoring, detection and mitigation of network attacks within the service provider network
• Designing and conducting technical training programs for other employees; providing references and support.
• Upgrades network by conferring with vendors; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
• Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets; monitoring expenses.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
• Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Provides next level support to multiple teams and departments within the organization.
• Must be able to manage: Cisco ASR9K, Cisco UBr10012 CMTS, Cisco/ Adtran Routers and Switches, RFGW-10, TS1000, Calix Fiber to the Home (FTTH) nodes, Calix Management Server (CMS), Metaswitch Session Border Controller (SBC), Ciena DWDM Systems, various Wireless Access Points and controllers, Wireless P2P and P2MP Systems, various Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) detection and mitigation systems.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
• Attention to Detail: Able to be alert in a high-risk environment; follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy in documentation and data; carefully monitor gauges, instruments, or processes; concentrate on routine work details, and organize and maintain a system of records.
• Customer Focus: Able to demonstrate a high level of service delivery; do what is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction; deal with service failures and prioritize customer needs.
• Planning, Prioritizing, and Goal Setting: Able to prepare for emerging customer needs; manage multiple projects; determine project urgency in a meaningful and practical way; use goals to guide actions and create detailed action plans; organize and schedule people and tasks.
• Must be team oriented and possess exceptional customer service skills.
• Strong communication skills with ability to shift focus and re-prioritize are required.
• Must be willing to answer calls after hours in case of emergency.
• Ability to work well with others across many organizations including Information Technology, Engineering, Provisioning, Customer Service, and Installation.
• Strong time management skills and proven ability to manage multiple tasks and meet schedules/deadlines as required.
• Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, and a desire to learn new technologies is a must.
Required Experience, Training, and Special Qualifications
• College degree in Information Technology or Telecommunications discipline, related military training and experience, or 7 years documented industry experience required.
• Minimum of 3 years of Network Administration experience in a service provider and/or large enterprise environment required.
• A thorough understanding of common routing and switching protocols including Ethernet, MPLS, IPv4/IPv6, OSPF, and BGP is required.
• Basic Linux administration and scripting skills required. RedHat experience desired.
• In-depth understanding of dhcp, dns, NAT and ntp protocols and the ability to install, operate, maintain and troubleshoot multiple dhcp and dns servers required.
• Ability to understand, audit and implement industry standard security practices throughout the network.
• Experience with MS Office Suite including Visio with the ability to create documentation and drawings related to all aspects of the network. Must be able to create Method of Procedures (MOP) to clearly guide others through minor or complex tasks.
• Have the ability and desire to work with other team members to develop new products, troubleshoot existing services and monitor the progress to completion.
• Participate in Network Planning discussions and provide input during the budgeting process.