The Free Methodist Church USA is entering a partnership with Greenville University to host a new, donor-funded Center for Pastoral Formation. Working directly under the Board of Bishops and in close relationship with Annual Conference Superintendents and Boards of Ministerial Education and Guidance, the Director of the Center will oversee our nationwide system of identifying, mentoring, educating and equipping candidates for ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. VISION CASTING: In fulfillment of the denomination’s vision for Outcomes-Based Ordination and Leadership Development, the Director will be responsible to cast vision throughout the FMCUSA as the Board of Bishops’ representative. This will involve multiple and redundant forms of communication, including web-based communication formats and travel to regional events to promote our common understanding of Outcomes Based Ordination and to equip personnel who oversee credentialing and ministerial development at the Annual Conference level.
2. COORDINATION: The Director will coordinate with each Annual Conference to assure that an effective system for identifying, mentoring and developing leaders exists and that it complies with our flexible baseline standard and identified outcomes as described in the Book of Discipline and Ministerial Education and Guidance Manual.
3. CURRICULUM OVERSIGHT AND DEVELOPMENT: The Director will serve as the denomination’s curriculum administrator, with responsibility to approve courses, instructors, syllabi and textbooks for any courses offered throughout the FMCUSA. Special care will be given to ensure a biblical, Wesleyan approach to theological formation and a full embrace of doctrinal distinctives within the context of Outcomes- Based Ordination.
4. RESOURCING: The Director will oversee the creation of ordination process training sessions, utilizing Zoom, webinars, videos, and other means, for the benefit of Annual Conference personnel and ministerial candidates. Additionally, a web-based clearinghouse of resources available to all Free Methodist members, whether lay, ministerial or in the process of ordination, will be developed. This may include endorsed educational institutes, online courses, a video library, an annotated
reading materials for required courses, lectures recorded by Annual Conference
personnel and other resources.
5. EVENTS AND VENUES: The Director will design and implement events to promote theological depth (Head), spiritual vitality and emotional health (Heart) and excellence in ministry (Hands), for example:
a. J-Term, summertime or other in-person courses at Greenville University and beyond
b. “Starting Strong” for new pastors and transfers from other churches
c. Graduate Student Theological Seminar
d. Creative new learning opportunities and venues for the continuing education of elders and expanded choices for persons in the various stages of preparation for ministry
6. AFMEI LIAISON: The Director will take initiative to correspond with Association of Free Methodist Educational Institutions regarding ordination requirements, potential collaborative courses, and John Wesley Seminary Foundation and other scholarships, strengthening ties between Free Methodist institutions of higher education and the denomination.
7. GREENVILLE CAMPUS INVOLVEMENT: With the new Center located in the Smart Center on the Greenville Town Square, we envision the Director interacting with students, faculty and the community of Greenville in ways that strengthen and deepen the ties between the university and the denomination. Positive relationships will lead to opportunities for the university to benefit from the Center, e.g. as students and faculty participate in seminars and hear guest speakers and as students are given access to excellent courses offered through the Center.
8. EXPANSION OF OFFERINGS: The Director will coordinate with others to develop credentialing systems for Conference Deacons and credentialing resources for speakers of languages other than English.
9. SUPERVISION: The Director will supervise a full-time administrative assistant, whose duties are spelled out in a separate Position Description. Primary among these duties is coordination of web- based data management, in close collaboration with each Annual Conference.
10. BUDGETING: In conjunction with the Free Methodist Church USA Chief Operating Officer, the Director of the Center will prepare an annual budget and operate within it.
1. A growing and deep relationship with Christ, evidenced by a mature Christian character
2. Ordination as elder in the Free Methodist Church with a deep understanding of and love for the Free Methodist denomination, including its Wesleyan-Arminian theology, its history, values, and mission
3. A proven systems thinker and communicator
4. A minimum of a Master’s degree, PhD in a related field of study, or Doctor of Ministry
5. Demonstrated fruitfulness in church leadership and disciple-making
6. Experience on a Conference Ministerial Education and Guidance Board
7. Outstanding skills in both oral and written communication; a dynamic communicator
8. Proficiency in multiple computer programs and platforms for web-based communication
9. Successful supervisory experience as well as the ability to “lead up” to the bishops
10. Competency in financial management skills
Greenville University's Mission:
Greenville University is liberal arts University that empowers students for lives of character and service through a transforming Christ-centered education in the liberal arts, sciences, and professional studies. Our hiring practices reflect our commitment to be a Christ-centered institution.
Greenville University's Commitment to Diversity:
It is the policy of Greenville University not to discriminate on the basis of age, color, ethnic or national origin, disability, race, gender or prior military service in its educational programs, admissions or employment policies. Greenville University is committed to an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Greenville University is located 50 miles east of St. Louis in an attractive residential community of approximately 7,000 people. Greenville University was founded in 1892 and is affiliated with the Free Methodist Church, yet draws students from 40+ denominations. For additional information, please visit our website: www.greenville.edu.