Mueller is a certified public accounting and business consulting firm located in the Chicago metropolitan area with offices in Elgin, Orland Park and Chicago. Since 1968, the Firm has provided accounting, tax, assurance, and management consulting services, to privately held and publicly traded companies, local governments, and not-for-profit organizations within a wide variety of industries.
Our Firm is a reflection of years of listening and caring for our clients. We are proud of the professional and personal relationships developed within our communities. Through growth and partnerships, we have blossomed from a regional firm to an organization that provides services worldwide.
Crain’s Chicago Business listed Mueller as the 15th largest accounting firm in the Chicago area. Additionally, we have been recognized as one of the fastest growing firms in the US with a ranking of 147th largest by Inside Public Accounting. We also have earned the distinction of one of the “Best Places to Work in Illinois” 2011 - 2020.
We are searching for an organized, detail-oriented, & highly motivated Senior Tax Associate to join our CPA team in downtown Chicago, Orland Park, or Elgin IL (HQ). You will be the lead contact on client assignments for Illinois-based tax compliance & consulting engagements. Other key responsibilities include leadership of the Mueller-based tax team, planning, project management, staff utilization, & overall engagement supervision, as well as providing industry expertise to clientele & Mueller staff.
Technical Tax Expertise:
- Experience with all types of tax entity forms.
- Ability to identify & assist with implementation of tax planning & tax savings strategies for clients.
- Expertise in managing tax compliance engagements.
- Ability to review, supervise, & enhance the process & preparation of complicated & complex corporate, partnership, & personal income tax returns.
- Professionally represent the Firm in professional & service organizations that will further demonstrate technical expertise.
- Experience with tax aspects of business transaction issues, including shareholder transactions, M&A, executive compensation, leveraged buyouts, cost segregation, R&D tax credits, accounting method changes, tax reform act, partnership operating agreement consulting, etc.
- Ability to represent clientele before the IRS & state tax authorities.
- Responsible for practice development including lead generation.
- Ability to develop a referral base. Must be able to identify targets & develop a plan to convert targets to clients.
- Interest & capability to initiate cross-selling efforts.
- Develop the Firm’s reputation through conducting seminars, speeches, & similar activities.
- Integrate & leverage firm-wide thought leadership efforts in developing the market for tax services.
- Ability to service middle-market clients & must be flexible to work with clients of varying sizes.
- Successfully manage engagements, groups, & teams of all sizes.
- Maintain steady contact with clients by developing executive level relationships.
- Deal directly with client attorneys, bankers, & other advisors.
- Follow progress of work during an engagement, from initial understanding with client through knowledge of client’s impression of the conduct of the engagement.
- Flawless execution of managing & overseeing multiple engagements at the same time.
- Promotion of creative ideas to enhance client service offerings proactively, during, & immediately following completion of engagements.
- Be familiar with qualifications of all staff members, review staff assignments, & assist in recruiting, developing, training & mentoring professional staff.
- Participate in performance review processes & related efforts to grow & develop staff. Lead effort of identifying future tax leaders.
- Proactive participation in recruiting key industry professionals & top talent.
- Communicate Firm policies & technical information through individual or group meetings.
- Communicate & reinforce Firm culture & play a key role in the enhancement of the team environment.
- Demonstrate an open door philosophy to help with client or other firm matters, while demonstrating fair & consistent application to professionals in employee relations matters.
Key Leadership Traits:
- Prior leadership in a tax role, preferably in another public accounting firm.
- Significant track record of mentoring & coaching accounting & tax professionals.
- The ability to articulate tax planning opportunities & recommendations to clientele.
- Ability to demonstrate enthusiastic & cooperative partnership spirit.
- Strong personal identification with Mueller firm values and intrinsic values in our industry - Proactive, Respect, Inspiring, Dedication, Enthusiasm – the Heart of Our Culture. Trust, Integrity among others.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting.
- CPA certification with active CPA standing.
- MST (or willingness to obtain) preferred.
- 3+ years' Public Accounting practice experience with large local, regional, or national public accounting firm.
- Experience in managing engagement budgets, expenses, & performance management.
- Ability to build rapport with firms partners & management.
- Must possess elite leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication & interpersonal skills, including ability to collaborate, influence, negotiate; resolve conflicts, & effectively coach employees, managers, & executives.
- Experience and ability to function using a tax software such as ProSystems, CCH, RIA and/or Engagement Manager is essential.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefit package including a generous 401(k) match, 5 healthcare plans to choose from, dental, vision, commuter benefits, generous vacation, and much more. Salary based on experience. EOE.