Arapahoe Basin Ski Area is looking for experienced and motivated individuals to join our Ski Patrol team for the 20-21 winter season. We are looking for people who have at least 2 - 3 years of Ski Patrol specific experience and have current OEC or EMT-B certification. There will also be specific testing requirements to be completed upon hire and based on experience.
As a Ski Patroller at Arapahoe Basin you are responsible for providing medical care and emergency services to the guests or employees on our mountain as well as completing winter ski trail maintenance. A successful candidate for this role has completed A-Basin Rookie Ski Patrol Training or has previous Ski Patrol experience.
Perks and Benefits for this Position Include:
- Unlimited skiing/riding at Arapahoe Basin and 20 other Colorado ski areas and resorts
- Working 4, 10-hour days. 3 days off.
- Ski for your job!
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance for full-time employees beginning on the 1st of the month following date of hire
- 401(k) for eligible employees
- Paid Time Off (PTO) for all full-time employees
- Much more! Check out all of our perks and benefits here!
Pay Starting at $14.75
- Patrols, on skis, ski trails and slope areas to provide assistance and protection to skiers and report condition of trails, ski lifts, and snow cover on slopes.
- Completes Patrol opening and closing procedures to ensure trails are compliant with all current safety standards and company safety policies
- Provides proficient medical care or first aid in emergency operations and notifies medical personnel in case of serious injury
- Understands all medical transport procedures and transports injured skiers using a toboggan when necessary
- Trains continuously on Arapahoe Basin Ski Patrol operational standards and maintains knowledge of, complies with, and educates on the Ski Safety Act and Arapahoe Basin safety policies
- Recognizes avalanche terrain and understands all safety procedures on low hazard routes while working under Blaster in Charge.
- Responsible for promptly and accurately completing all incident forms and involves an Accident Investigator or Supervisor when necessary
- Responsible for a high level of guest service and can demonstrate a high level of confidence with guest interaction including when disciplinary actions are necessary.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two years (seasons) of Ski Patrol Experience
- Current OEC or EMT- B Certification
- Current CPR/AED Card
- Has completed the following training requirements or is able to do so upon hire:
- Written Snowmobile Exam
- Emergency Operations Test
- Qualified Climber Program
- Standard Chairlift Evacuation
- Confined Spaces Training
- Pass Ski and Toboggan Competency Evaluation
- Ski at an expert level - Able to ski all Arapahoe Basin terrain with good judgement, control, and confidence
- Operate a snowmobile effectively and with good judgement
- Strong problem-solving skills, organizational and prioritization skills, and memorization ability
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Mathematical reasoning is helpful
- Speak, read, and write in English
- Can work outside while standing or skiing in a high alpine, wintery environment for up to 10 hours
- Able to lift 10-25 pounds 2/3rds of the time or more, able to lift 50 pounds 1/3 to 2/3rds of the time, able to lift 100 pounds up to 1/3rd of the time
- Can perform the following activities constantly: walking, using hands to finger/feel, reaching with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear
- Vision Requirements: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus
- Withstand high altitude conditions at all times
- You will work mostly outside in a cold, snowy, high alpine environment frequently faced with wet and/or humid conditions. Most work is completed in view of customers and customer interaction is frequent. Riding a chairlift is required for this role.
- Provide necessary equipment for skiing and for working in a high alpine environment.
Arapahoe Basin SKI Patrol Staging Program
Arapahoe Basin Ski Patrollers are eligible for a staging program based on experience which relates to applicable pay. Staging requirements and related skills are listed below:
Ski Patrol Stage 1 – Requirements above. Please see below for Stage 2–4 requirements.
Ski Patrol Stage 2 – All Stage 1 responsibilities/skills plus the following:
- Leads trainings on basic Patrol skills (i.e. knots, closures, opening procedures, standard lift evacuation)
- Competent ski and toboggan handling in the Main Basin, Pali, Zuma, and the Beavers
- Accompanied senior Patrollers in extreme terrain and has passed or prepared for Advanced Ski Test
- Completed snowmobile ride along to prepare for Advanced Snowmobile test
- Acts as a basic responder in the following situations: lift evacuation, avalanche rescue, disaster, technical rescue, helicopter evacuation, lightning, out of bounds search and rescue, skier-skier collisions ,10:33, and missing persons
- Recognizes and addresses problems with emergency care equipment
- Able to recognize and address required trail work standards as set by the Ski Area, Skier Safety Act, Insurance Company, and Ski Area Counsel.
- Understands and completes snow fencing operations
- Safe working knowledge of explosives: handling cap and fuse, arming, igniting, shot placement and misfire procedures, ski cutting, ski packing, and location of avalanche closures
- Performs effectively and professionally as a team member on mitigation routes and participates in decision making during route
- Two years Ski Patrol experience required
Ski Patrol Stage 3 – All Stage 1 and 2 responsibilities/skills plus the following:
- Actively leads others and shows initiative in organizing and documenting training, work projects, and specific additional responsibilities such as helping other departments at A-Basin and acting as liaison for special events
- Acts as a positive role model for training and performance in guest relations
- Plays an active role in daily guest relations regarding guest information (slider boards, electronic messaging, website)
- Recognizes and initiates guest inconvenience compensations
- Ensures that work is completed effectively and efficiently by the Ski Patrol department
- Takes AI photos, measurements, and can complete all AI documentation
- Demonstrates competency in implementing all emergency operations
- Manages areas of concern on the mountain
- Voluntarily spends equal time and effort on all levels of terrain
- Able to assist Snow Safety Team with the following: avalanche terrain management, hazard assessment and mitigation and is a State of Colorado Permitted Explosive User
- Demonstrates competency in avalanche rescue as hasty team leader and probe line leader
- Completed dispatch training and shadowing and able to be scheduled dispatch shifts as needed
- Three years Ski Patrol experience required
Ski Patrol Stage 4 – All Stage 1-3 responsibilities/skills plus the following:
- Takes the initiative in a leadership role in contributing to the improvement and optimal functioning of Patrol operations or other special assignments
- Leads by example and maintains a high standard of proficiency in all skills and is able to train other Patrollers in all aspects of the job
- Demonstrates the ability to perform as Site or Incident Commander in the following situations: avalanche rescue, chairlift evacuation, disaster, technical rescue, helicopter evacuation, lighting, missing person, out of area search and rescue, 10:33
- Can carry out proper ICS communications with appropriate personnel and agencies
- Provides constructive feedback following incidents; recognizes medical needs and takes control of scenes if needed
- Takes initiative as trail work leader; able to troubleshoot opening and closing procedure problems as they arise on the hill and act on a managing level
- Can perform as a route leader on all routes
- Aware of the needs and operations of Snowmaking, Lift Maintenance, Lift Operations, Base Area, Vehicle Maintenance, and Terrain Park
- Skills also include one or more of the following:
- Ski and Toboggan trainer
- Avalauncher Gunner
- Grooming liaison
- Cable rider
- Accident Investigator
- Tech Rescue leader
- Event coordinator
- Weather forecaster
- Patrol Cat driver
- Rapid Avalanche Deployment team member
- Attended NAS Stage 2 or equivalent
- Four years Ski Patrol experience required