Reporting to the Career Center System Director, the primary responsibility of this position is to oversee and coordinate business services and job placement efforts of Detroit’s nine (9) Career Centers. The position will focus on two main functions: 1) promote and support the coordination and cooperation of a team of business service staff employed by ten (10) different organizations; and 2) serve as a conduit between the Detroit at Work centralized industry engagement team and Career Centers to ensure the system effectively screens and refers talent to job openings with strategic employers.
On behalf of the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board, Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) manages the Detroit Michigan Works! One-Stop Service Centers. The system provides workforce services to over 35,000 job seekers and over 1,400 employers each year, through a collective team of over 250 workforce professionals who are charged primarily with engaging small, mid-sized and neighborhood-based employers to identify job opportunities for Detroit at Work customers and for working with career coaches and others to find and screen talent for open jobs. The Liaison is responsible for developing a positive and supportive working relationship with this team to ensure the Detroit at Work system is as responsive to employer and job seeker needs as possible.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Establish and document standards for effective and high-quality business services, in collaboration with Career Center leadership and staff, DESC program staff and the Detroit at Work centralized industry engagement team. This includes but is not limited to standards for: communication with employers, messaging of Detroit at Work services, job order marketing and career fairs, promotional materials for business services, and quality, outcomes and tracking of business services.
• Train business services staff on standards and establish mechanisms for collecting employer and job seeker feedback to assess the quality of services in relation to standards.
• Identify and promote best practices for identifying and prioritizing employers, promoting the full suite of Detroit at Work business services, assessing and documenting employer needs, screening and referring talent.
• Foster coordination and cooperation across the business services staff of the Career Centers, to ensure a positive experience for both employers and job seekers. Establish clear protocols for identifying the primary account manager for each employer and for resolving any duplicate efforts.
• Coordinate with Career Center leadership to identify areas for improvement in metrics and service delivery pertaining to business services.
• Under the guidance of the Industry Engagement leadership, develop strategies for ensuring the Career Center system is responsive to employment opportunities cultivated by the centralized team. This may include recruiting, identifying and screening job seekers for strategic employers that are classified as high-priority.
• Serve as a conduit between the centralized industry engagement team and Career Centers, which will involve identifying Career Center staff to follow up with employers who contact the centralized team but do not need a central account manager. Oversee follow up with employers and report on status to Industry Engagement leadership.
• Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness, investigate trends, recommend and implement modifications to improve program effectiveness. Work with the Data Team to identify and deploy technology that improves this program effectiveness.
• Prepare required and supplemental programmatic reports for funders.
• Coordinate special events (i.e. trainings/meetings), create and distribute invitations, distribute resources, attend events to lend support, coordinate technical equipment, and assemble presentation / information.
• Organize and manage project specific tasks and activities.
• Compose and prepare correspondence involving interpretation of policies, procedures, contract, and agreements.
• Prepare reports and analysis setting forth progress and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Perform other related duties as required.
The above functions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties of the position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be highly organized and have the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
• Must exhibit stellar communication skills, professionalism, diplomacy, and ability to appropriately interact with staff, participants, employers, and local stakeholders while maintaining working relationships in all aspects.
• Must be able to work under pressure with the ability to reprioritize in order to meet deadlines.
• Seek growing responsibility and show great capacity for work.
• Exhibit expert level documentation and writing skills, and have the ability to prepare timely, accurate and complete reports.
• Must be able to maintain strict ethical legal adherence and confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have at least three (3) years prior related experience in human resources, workforce development, recruitment, sales, customer service, or staffing. Bachelor’s Degree in social work, education, business or related field or the equivalent combination of education and work experience is required. Must demonstrate exceptional communication and relationship building skills. Must possess superior project management experience and skills. Must have experience using CRM and other digital communication and management tools.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
Background check and drug screen required