The Director of Innovation & Education is held accountable to provide scientific marketing support and education to improve the knowledge, understanding and scientific communication to our customers, Deerland’s sales team and internal stakeholders. The scope of this position includes, but is not limited to: scientific communication content development and marketing support, attending science and sales functions, managing the science education process, presentations to the sales team and customers, responding to customer inquiries, science and technology execution and support of key projects and initiatives, project correspondence, tracking competitive technology and formulations. This position requires extensive interaction with external entities (i.e. customers, consultants, etc.) and includes collaboration with cross-functional internal teams including science & technology, marketing, production, project management, strategy, sales, program delivery, outcomes, and analytics.
The key job responsibilities of the Director of Innovation & Education include, but are not limited to the following:
• Technology and innovation support to assist in helping to develop new business for existing and new customers
• Act as the primary Science and Innovation contact for the sales team, coordinating the science and technology response to customers
• Provide field sales technology support, expertise and education, assisting customers on how Deerland’s technologies can meet their needs (i.e. on-site presentations, conference calls, webinars, innovation day support, and competitor intelligence gathering).
• Participate in all Stage Gate Projects and initiatives. Manage and follow up on Stage Gate project plans following the Stage Gate SOP utilizing project management software, scheduling Stage Gate Meetings, tracking progress etc.
• Educate and train the sales team on new products and technologies
• Scientific content development and communications supporting key marketing initiatives, collaborating on the development of program materials including marketing materials, educational materials and website
• Present and interact with customers, speakers, and third-party organizations
• Collaborate on the development of program materials including marketing materials, educational materials, websites, and reports
• Improve and expand company’s knowledge of new ingredients/technologies for new and existing markets as applicable
• Interpret and present project ideas and educational materials to Deerland colleagues, senior management, customers, and vendors
• Based on market and customer trends provide insights into possible new product development opportunities
• Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature and competitive technologies
• Provide science and technology expertise/consultancy (internally and externally)
• All other assigned duties
• Travel: Up to 30%
• Bachelor or Masters of Science in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Biology, or a related field and at least 5 years in the industry.
• Ph.D. in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Biology, or a related field and 5-8 years in the industry.
• 3-5 years of probiotic or enzyme related product development
• Proven project leadership
• Ability to articulate concepts, ideas, examples, clinical data and scientific outcomes
• Ability to comprehend complex scientific and clinical information
• Excellent scientific writing ability; ability to adapt for different target audiences
• Attention to detail, style, consistency, grammar, scientific accuracy, proof-reading, and layout.
• Excellent interpersonal and communicational skills
• Presentation and training skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Strong leadership skills
• Results driven, strong work ethic
• Strong organizational, time management and project management skills
• Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license