Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
Sanctuary for families seeks a part-time General Counsel as a member of the senior leadership team reporting to the Executive Director to guide and ensure that the agency is in compliance with all legal mandates, advice management and staff on legal issues and facilitate strategies that ensure adherence to our mission. The position is eligible for benefits coverage.
• Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management
• Advise on internal government policies and management of external factors
• Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of decisions and course action
• Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
• Identify proactive solutions that eliminate or mitigate risks
• Deal with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas
• Keep abreast of legislative changes
• Ensure agency compliance with federal, estate, local lobbying laws
• Review all contracts and agreements for compliance with regulations
• Advise management and staff on impact of legislative changes
• Proven general counsel experience in not-for-profit environment, preferred
• Overall broad legal knowledge (contract, labor, litigation, etc.)
• In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
• Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
• High degree of professional ethics and integrity
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
• JD and admission to the NY State Bar
• Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
D.E.I Commitment: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core values at Sanctuary for Families that represent our dedication to fostering a safe, respectful, responsive, and fair work environment. We recognize the value diversity holds in embracing all employees, clients, and volunteers regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or professional level.