Iowa City Hospice is seeking a part time 50% FTE Hospice Admission Nurse to be a part of our weekend team.
Iowa City Hospice Nurses have a passionate understanding for the hospice philosophy. They combine their acute/crisis symptom management education with interpersonal communication skills to provide care for patients and families in physical and emotional crisis situations.
If your care goals include making a focused difference in the quality of life for patients & family members through pain control and end of life symptom management while working with a dynamic interdisciplinary team, then we would like to speak with you about our current nurse employment opportunities.
Our Hospice Nurses:
Responsible for the referral and admission process for patients and families. Develops early and appropriate referrals by creating and sustaining partnerships with referral sources throughout our service area.
Schedule: 10 hours scheduled Saturday and Sunday for a total of 20 hours scheduled per week; Scheduled work days are based on business need and are subject to change (reviewed quarterly). Schedule includes participating in holiday rotations and 2nd 3rd shift coverage based on organizational need.
Essential Job Functions (including but not limited to):
1. Develops early and appropriate referrals by creating and sustaining relationships in the medical community.
2. Assist in coordinating the admission process to ensure care partner, patient, family and regulatory needs are met.
3. Assume initial responsibility for assessing patient/family needs and consulting with attending physician and hospice staff members.
4. Obtain information on physical, psychological, social and spiritual factors that my influence patient/family health status and incorporate into the plan of care.
5. Complete visits per agency visit productivity guidelines.
6. Document all care provided on the patient’s clinical record in accordance with Iowa City Hospice’s documentation requirement.
7. Demonstrates exceptional written and verbal communication standards to advance cooperative working relationships with Iowa City Hospice staff, management and care partners.
8. Determine patient’s appropriateness for services consistent with Iowa City Hospice policies and admission criteria.
9. Admit patients and develop initial plan of care.
10. Assist with continuity of care and discharge planning in hospitals
11. Facilitate and ensure smooth transition of new patients to the primary care team.
12. Ensure effective use of resources.
13. Serve as an educational source to staff, care partners, and the Community.
14. Ensure implementation of strategic goals
15. Adhere to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients, families, staff and the organization. Participate in Iowa City Hospice’s success by ensuring access to our exceptional care.
16. Support and promote Iowa City Hospice’s mission to lead in providing exceptional patient-centered end-of-life car and grief support to anyone affected by a terminal illness.
17. Participate in the organization’s quality assessment and performance improvement program.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
License: Current Registered Nurse License in the state of Iowa.
Education: Nursing degree.
Experience: Hospice, home health, hospital and/or long term care experience preferred.
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 AM-5 PM. Schedule includes participating in holiday rotations and occasional night/weekend call shifts.
Driving: Current Iowa Driver License .
Iowa City Hospice requires 100% of clinical staff to obtain an applicable certification in hospice and palliative care, by the 3rd year of employment.