Wayside Publishing is offering an opportunity for an experienced and passionate Managing Editor to join our Leadership Team overseeing the development and completion of World Language educational solutions (print and digital) within budget and on-time. In this role you will strongly advocate for editorial process; leading Project Managers, Curriculum Coordinators and Editors to ensure work flows smoothly through the department, with adequate time for all steps. As the Managing Editor you ensure Wayside standards are upheld, direct the organization in scheduling of projects, and overseeing members of project teams keeping them on task. To be successful as a Manager at Wayside, you need to demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills.
- Leads highly strategic cross-functional and cross-organizational initiatives – team includes Curriculum Coordinators, Developmental Editors/Project Managers, and Editors.
- Define editorial strategy and establish editorial direction and policies for publications.
- Assists in the preparation of editorial operating budget and is responsible for meeting editorial cost goals.
- Develops, maintains, and utilizes knowledge of industry and trends, competitive environment, and editorial vision.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for grammatical accuracy, clarity, completeness, appropriateness for intended audience, and conformity to established standard format guidelines for publications.
- Maintains editorial style guides, updating them as new guidance is received from client marketing or customer facing teams.
- Creates and manages cross-functional plans, collaborating cross-functionally with internal teams (and external vendors if applicable) to define product requirements and manage timelines.
- Facilitates end-to-end scoping / estimation and managing cross-team dependencies.
- Engages and provides critical information to leadership, cross-functional teams, and stakeholders (Business Leadership, Instructional Development, Product Development, Creative Services, Marketing, Vendors, etc.) to prioritize initiatives.
- Clearly communicates roadmaps, progress, risks, mitigation plans, and impacts to senior management and internal cross-functional and remote project teams. Steer teams based on business objectives, constantly aligning teams to those objectives, in the face of ambiguity and aggressive deadlines. Self-directed (directing cross-functional teams and C-Staff).
- Conducts class visits, focus groups, and surveys of educators to discover the essential and desirable characteristics of a new language program or materials (print and/or digital).
- Participate in the development of new electronic and multimedia products for the World Language markets including the following but not limited to: eBooks, LMS, digital environments, games, online activities, readers, etc.
- Attends national, state, and local conferences to support the sales and marketing efforts.
- Maintains professional expertise in language instruction by visiting classrooms, talking with teachers and the internal teams (Instructional Development team and Sales force), and attending professional meetings.
- Evangelizes the Wayside collaborative culture and brings a high degree of energy to the role.
- Lives and breathes a proactive delivery mindset, role-filling as necessary to meet program goals.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to manage through times of uncertainty and change.
- Attracts, hires, and retains high performing staff to support products and platforms.
- Day to day management of teams.
- Ensures optimal communication between team members.
- Builds strong interpersonal relationships with Leadership, Senior Management, and internal and external Stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
We are a dynamic, fast-moving company and all our positions require flexibility and occasionally additional responsibilities that may include providing other employees with support.
Please note that due to the current Pandemic this position will be remote until further notice, with the expectation of Maine employees returning to the office as soon as reasonably possible.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Administration, Education, or Second Language
- Native or near-native proficiency in a second language (English, Spanish, French, or German)
- 5+ years’ progressive work experience as a Managing Editor
- 3+ years’ Supervisory experience
- 2+ years’ experience in teaching high school English, Spanish, French or German, or experience directly related to education and second language acquisition, or K-12 educational publishing
- Experience in K-12 writing, editing, and publishing (print and digital), educational materials
- Knowledge and familiarity with technology used in language education
- Knowledge of ACTFL and current trends in world language education
- Knowledge of online learning environments and other technology used in education
- Strong leadership skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and technicalities
- Excellent organizational and technical skills
- Strong interpersonal and multi-tasking skills
- World language, teaching and or PMP certification is a plus
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- Health insurance with options for supplemental insurances (Dental, Vision, Accident)
- Short Term and Long-Term Disability policies paid by the company
- Life insurance policy paid by the company with options for increased coverage
- Retirement savings plan with company contribution
- Paid holidays
- Work/life balance as a company value
Wayside Publishing is a K-12 publisher based in Freeport, Maine. Our language learning strategies embrace and reflect those endorsed by current research and by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Our goal is to engage students and teachers across the country in the pursuit of interculturality, global citizenship, and lifelong learning. Join our team.
At Wayside, we recognize the value of transferrable skills, so if you meet the bilingual requirement, and your background is in the education, restaurant, hospitality, or other fields impacted by COVID-19, we welcome you to apply.
We believe that traditional hiring policies can hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. Because we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
To be considered for this position, submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or emailed applications, please.