Job Title: Payroll Administrator
Reports To: AHR Controller
Type of position: Exempt/Salary
Employee Classification: Regular/Full-Time
Job Summary: The Payroll Administrator will independently manage the payroll process for the organization. This
includes overseeing all administrative activities related to payroll, hands on processing of payroll on a regular basis for
multiple entities, supervision of payroll staff and oversight of payroll for other American Heritage Railways (AHR) entities.
This position is a perfect fit for an energetic, self-motivated, hands-on individual seeking a position offering a variety of
responsibilities and levels of challenge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the preparation and hands on processing of varying payroll schedules for over 300 employees including both exempt and non-exempt time records; review and ensure accuracy of approved timesheets; track and deduct all garnishments and other special payroll deductions
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, Human Resources (HR), budget and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. labor, overtime, leave balances, head count, and retirement contribution reports)
- Handle the administration of the electronic timekeeping system. Setup each employee, valid programs for each employee’s charges, and adherence to FLSA; monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service
- Assist with the ongoing administration of the electronic timekeeping system, including timeclock setup for all AHR entities
- Manage employees pay setup to ensure accuracy in all earnings and deductions codes, adherence to FLSA guidelines, etc.
- Establish/maintain employee payroll records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to APA policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulations
- Responsible for entering payroll journal entries into the accounting software
- Timely filing of payroll into employee personnel files and benefit files
- Provides any necessary reporting to management/department managers
- Responsible for all quarterly and year end payroll reconciliations for all AHR entities (401K, HSA, etc.)
- Professional and efficient communication with employees on any payroll questions/discrepancies
- Work in conjunction with the HR Department to stay current on updated payroll laws (minimum wage, exempt vs. nonexempt requirements, etc.)
- Assists the HR Department with ACA reporting for all AHR entities
- Manager 401k and Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions and funding for all AHR entities
- Oversee tax filings in accordance with local and federal laws in multiple states
- Work closely with the HR and Payroll vendor pertaining to payroll functions and compliance
- Supervise all other AHR entities payroll staff for their biweekly processing of payroll, reporting, journal entries, etc.