Part-time position: Non-exempt position, 25 hours per week
Starting Salary: $13.50/hour
Benefits: Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), 8 holidays per year plus additional paid time off.
Closing Date: Until position is filled
• Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
• Monitors and secures library facilities and property.
• Monitor entrance and departure of visitors to the building to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
• Respond to security system alarms at front doors and emergency doors.
• Circulate among visitors, patrons, and employees to preserve order and protect property.
• Performs basic building operation functions, including but not limited to routine housekeeping and minor facility and grounds services and repairs.
• Enforces the appropriate policies for the District.
• Warn persons of rule infractions or violations, and evict violators from premises if warranted.
• Interact with users in a positive and professional manner, assist and provide information and directions, and utilize diplomacy when enforcing library policies.
• Completes appropriate documents as needed including but not limited to Incident Reports and Accident Reports.
• Follows procedures for securing library at close of business day.
• Completes security checks of premises inside and outside.
• Ensures facilities and grounds are operating safely and correctly, resolves unsafe conditions. Reports unsafe conditions to supervisor or Person in Charge.
• Ensures procedures for emergency situations are followed.
• Contacts 911 in emergency situations.
• Works with police and fire officials as needed.
• Performs room set-ups.
• Works with groups using the rooms to ensure they are aware of rules and have what they need.
• Set-up and demonstrate needed audiovisual equipment.
• Check room condition at end of use and clean up room in preparation for next group.
• Assists with deliveries to the Library and to Departments.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Requires knowledge acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
Experience: Minimum of 3 months related experience in a comparable business, organization, or library.
• Basic knowledge of productivity suites.
• Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
• Ability manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Ability to effectively use a variety of tablets and similar devices.
• Ability to adapt to change.
• Communicates effectively in English, both orally and in writing. Speaking skills in other languages, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with staff and public.
• Ability to stay calm and effective in difficult situations.
• Ability to empathize and relate to the needs of all patrons.
Internal: Library staff and management
External: Patrons, police, fire and emergency personnel.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
Physical requirements include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, occasionally push and pull up to 100 pounds, frequently 10 pounds, ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally. Position requires standing and walking for prolonged periods of time.
Work is performed in a typical library environment. Full or part-time position. Will require weekend and evening work.