Gary Community Investments seeks a full-time position of Director of Communications & Storytelling to join the Communications team.
The Communications team creates, maintains, and expands message narratives and content to engage internal staff, partners, co-investors, and the broader community to illustrate the value and impact of Gary Community Investments’ work to deliver transformative opportunities for Colorado’s kids, families and the communities around them. Through our branding, messaging, creative content and media engagement, we aim to inspire key partners to join us in building, funding and transforming powerful solutions that will improve the lives of underserved Coloradans now and in the future.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the Director of Communications & Storytelling will be responsible for developing and implementing ambitious, audience-centric storytelling strategies that bring the organization’s refreshed brand, mission and impact to life. The role will require hands-on content development as well as working with a lean and nimble team of content creators, who will deliver compelling content that tells Gary’s story of impact to a wide range of audiences across a variety of on and off-line communications channels. The ideal candidate knows what it takes to create, plan and execute a best in class brand and content strategy that requires contributions from both internal and external stakeholders. As Gary Community Investments builds new solutions to improve the lives of Colorado’s children and families, the director of communications and storytelling will also provide critical brand and communications support to these projects as needed.
- Principal responsibilities include developing and implementing innovative and compelling communications strategies that promote Gary Community Investments’ evolving story of impact, monitoring and measuring communications goals, and building capacity among creative communications professionals.
- Develop and execute a metric-driven, integrated communications and storytelling strategy that features compelling narratives designed to extend our reach and deepen our engagement with current and prospective staff, grantees, partners, co-investors and community leaders.
- Deliver branded content and communications that feature a diverse representation of voices, is calibrated to Gary’s outcome areas as our story of impact evolves, and is translated into consistent individual campaign and storytelling strategies
- Define strategic content priorities and provide both tactical support and creative direction for a wide range of communications deliverables including but not limited to garycommunity.org, newsletters, email, blogs, social media, thought leadership, case studies, reports, collateral, video, etc.
- Maintain strategic and creative ownership of timely, relevant and compelling content for garycommunity.org
- Manage a small team of in-house content creators and potential external creative services vendors, supervising their work and directing priorities to produce high quality video, social, digital and print collateral.
- Establish audience-based reporting mechanisms and analytics to provide holistic feedback across news and social media.
- Leverage relationships with the news media to promote key stories of impact.
- Create and cultivate a storytelling culture by training and enabling staff in storytelling best practices.
- Work with members of the Strategic Philanthropy and Policy team, Impact Investing team, grantees and other key partners to identify communications opportunities that specifically leverage storytelling practices and platforms to promote our partnership and impact in the community.
- Support brand and communications needs of Gary Community investments’ special build projects and other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, marketing/communications, journalism, creative writing or related field (or equivalent in training and professional experience)
- 6-8 years professional experience of developing innovative marketing communications and storytelling strategies
- A proven track record of delivering audience-centric communication/engagement strategies, and a deep understanding of storytelling approaches
- Understanding of a range of audience segmentation and identification approaches, brand communication techniques and print and digital channels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. Also must be capable of achieving goals during times of ambiguity and organizational change.
- Experience evaluating and managing vendor relationships, including contract negotiation
- Commitment to the Gary Community Investments mission
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstances
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is a regular, full-time exempt position
- The salary range for this position is $130,000 to $160,000
- Comprehensive health benefits package including medical, dental, and vision
- Vacation, Sick Leave and Paid Holidays
- 401(k) plan; with generous employer matching
Other Details: Our team is based in Denver, CO. Ideal start date in February 2021.
To Apply: Please send a resume, portfolio link, and answer the following questions
- Why Gary Community Investments?
- Why this role?
- Tell me the story of your most impactful contribution at some point in your life?
Responses to questions can be submitted in writing, presentation, or audio/video file. Responses to questions replace a formal cover letter. Please see length guidance below.
- Written response should be no longer than two pages
- Audio/video recording should be no longer than 7 minutes
- Presentations should be no longer than 7 slides
*Our hiring website only allows .doc or .pdf attachments. If you have other attachments, please download them to google drive, and link them via tinyurl or bitly in a word document. You can then upload that document directly into our application site.