Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is a 501(c)(3) serving as the fiscal and administrative agent of the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB), which is the local Workforce Investment Board (WIB). DESC is also the MichiganWorks! Agency for Detroit. In concert with the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development, DESC is the implementation and operations partner for the City’s workforce strategy.
S/he reports to the Director of Finance on strategic matters, balancing financial, operations and mission critical priorities; manages and provides safeguards for the organization’s assets, monitors the organization’s financial status, facilitates operational and strategic financial planning, oversees organizational financial policies and procedures, and plans and manages the organization’s risk management. Oversees cost- benefit analysis, budget management, and forecasting. Provides inspiring and creative leadership in refining DESC’s role as the fiscal and administrative agent for the MWDB in Detroit’s workforce system, while strengthening the capital structure of the agency so that quality and access are improved, and costs are lowered. Work closely with senior leaders to advance the agency’s culture of collaboration, metric-driven accountability, data-driven decision making, and transparency.
• Develop systems and tools to provide critical financial and operational information to the leadership team to inform actionable recommendations.
• Engage the Board and board finance committee around issues, trends, and changes in financial operating model(s) and the resulting or potential impact on strategy and operations.
• Develop and ensure a ‘fiscal health’ mindset among all staff to ensure baseline understanding of key financial principles and goals across the organization.
Finance and Accounting
• Ensure DESC has the financial technology to meet the needs of the organization.
• Administer and coordinate the organization's financial information systems to meet organization management, planning needs, and funding body requirements.
• In collaboration with the Director of Finance, proactively manage cash flow and forecasting monthly. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
• Provide necessary leadership oversight and implementation of the budget preparation process.
• Serve as the lead staff for DESC’s Audit/Finance Committee of the Board.
• Ensure preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements that are timely, accurate and useful for both internal and external audiences including, senior leadership, finance committee, board of directors, federal and state funders and foundations.
Education and Experience:
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree, seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience in a senior leadership role. Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, public administration or a related field and CPA are preferred. Must have experience with complex management for a nonprofit organization or government agency, including financial reporting, government contracts, and audit processes. Experience in an organization with multiple funding streams required. Position requires demonstrated ability to analyze complex financial data, interpret, explain, and apply applicable laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
CERTIFICATES AND/OR LICENSES
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an inside environment.
DESC offers a comprehensive benefits package and ongoing professional development opportunities, and more.
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.