The Lieber Institute for Brain Development was conceived from the realization that a new approach is needed to fully exploit the unprecedented scientific opportunities to accomplish the critical goal of helping affected individuals and their families. The Lieber Institute aims to transform the research landscape in two ways: by providing new tools for scientific discovery and by developing new collaborative approaches to achieve our ambitious mission.
The mission of the Lieber Institute for Brain Development is to translate the understanding of basic genetic and molecular mechanisms of schizophrenia and related developmental brain disorders into clinical advances that change the lives of affected individuals. We are an independent 501(c)(3) medical research institute located in the Bioscience Park on the campus of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Hospital.
The Lieber Institute offers a generous benefits package which includes paid holidays, sick, personal and vacation time off.
The candidate will work in the Ursini lab at the LIBD on projects aimed at investigating the role of the early life environment in the pathophysiology of neurodevelopmental disorders. They will analyze multiomics data from placenta (including RNA-Seq datasets at bulk tissue and single cell levels), environmental exposures, and longitudinal assessments, to identify risk factors associated with altered trajectories of risk for neurodevelopmental disorders.
The candidate will work closely with Dr. Ursini in designing the analytical plans and performing the analyses. They will also interact with the RNAseq core and the Data analysis core of the LIBD, and will be actively involved in the LIBD scientific community. They will have access to Joint High Performance Computing Exchange (JHPCE) at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health & School of Medicine, for data analysis.
Education: Master’s Degree or higher in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Genetics, Neuroscience, or related field is required.
Experience: 2+ years of related experience is required:
• Previous experience with machine learning, deep learning or network-based approach is preferred
• The position will require proficiency in Linux and programming with R, Python, or Perl.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent time management and problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and record keeping skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative scientific research environment as well as independently as needed
• Ability to work from remote
• Motivation to develop new analytical approaches to answer specific scientific questions
• Previous experience in the analysis of mitochondrial data is a plus
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Postdoctoral Fellow / Staff Scientist – Ursini Lab”.
Physical Requirements for Lab position:
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods of time;
- Reaching and grasping to manipulate objects with fingers;
- Mobility, including the ability to maneuver around a laboratory setting including the ability to move materials weighing up to 25 pounds;
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word;
- Having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication;
- All other physical demands in a standard laboratory environment.
** If accommodations are needed due to pregnancy or a disability, please contact email@example.com
EEOC Statement: At the Lieber Institute, we are committed to a work environment of mutual respect where employment decisions are based on merit. As an equal opportunity employer, the Lieber Institute does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, military service, or other non-merit based factors protected by state or federal law or local ordinance, with regard to any position or employment for which the applicant or employee is qualified.