Location: Sodus,NY (Home Office) , Finger Lakes, NY Footprint
Preference will be given to candidates who reside in the Finger Lakes footprint for this work from home opportunity, as they will be expected to report, on occasion, for training, company meetings, etc. at the home office in Sodus, NY. The Finger Lakes footprint includes (but is not limited to) the following counties: Monroe, Ontario, Wayne, Yates, Seneca, and Cayuga counties.
Schedule: Monday - Friday. Must be flexible to meet current and future business needs.
Reliant Credit Union, ranked one of Rochester's top mid-sized companies three years in a row, seeks a Mortgage Underwriter I to join our Mortgage team in our Sodus, NY location, or to work remotely.
Our Mortgage Underwriter I position underwrites conventional mortgages to Fannie Mae and/or the Credit Union’s mortgage portfolio guidelines. They will evaluate credit and collateral risk to make sound underwriting decisions and minimize loss.
The right candidate for this position will understand and follow the expectations of Reliant's corporate culture. Reliant offers an excellent work environment based on Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork (ART) and an exceptional benefits package, including:
- 401k retirement plan
- Paid leave time allowances
- Employee life insurance
- Access to our medical, dental, and vision plans
As a Mortgage Underwriter I at Reliant, you will:
- Review processed conventional mortgage loan files and make decisions to grant or decline mortgage loan requests.
- Verify the integrity of the data entered into the Credit Union’s mortgage loan origination systems (Encompass and Fannie Mae's DU).
- Review Collateral Underwriter reports to evaluate the adequacy of the appraisal report and appropriateness of the appraised value.
- Review DU underwriting findings and confirm appropriate action is being taken as required by the findings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities of a Mortgage Underwriter:
- Automated and manual underwriting of conventional mortgage loans
- Current Fannie Mae mortgage lending guidelines. Experience working with Fannie Mae’s technology applications Desktop Underwriter, Early Check, and Collateral Underwriter is preferred.
- Federal and state mortgage lending regulations including ATR/QM and TRID requirements.
- Intermediate level personal computer skills, particularly with spreadsheets and word processing. Familiarity with MS Office suite is desired.
- Excellent verbal and strong written communication skills.
- Utilize Reliant’s mortgage loan origination system (Encompass).
- Work independently, as well as collaborate and work effectively in a team environment.
- Prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work in an organized and orderly manner.
- Demonstrate a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Decipher data contained in documents, reports, spreadsheets, etc., presented both on paper and electronically.
Required Training & Experience for the Mortgage Underwriter position:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of residential mortgage underwriting experience required. First mortgage processing or underwriting experience is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in a professional office environment desired.
- Credit Union-related work desirable.
Physical Requirements include the ability to:
- Use keyboard, monitor, telephone, and other standard office equipment.
- Communicate effectively in person and via telephone, email, and written documents.
- Read small print.
- Lift and move a minimum of 20 lbs.
- Work during standard business hours and some evening and weekend work may as required.
- Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Keywords: Mortgage, Mortgage Processor, Mortgage Underwriter, Underwriter, Mortgage Closer, Secondary market, NMLS, direct endorsement, LAPP, DE
Candidates considered for hire are subject to credit and other employment reference checks.
Reliant Community Federal Credit Union is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, AA Disability/Veteran. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department via phone at 800-724-9282 or email at email@example.com.