Isaacson, Miller (IM), a national retained executive search firm specializing in leadership recruitment in the civic sector, seeks to hire an Associate to contribute to the growth of the firm and the conduct of its work. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented individual who is dedicated to the success of mission-driven organizations, drawn to the intellectual demands and professional pace of executive recruiting, and wishes to have an impact on the caliber and diversity of leadership in organizations that advance the common good.
Since IM’s founding in 1982, IM has been committed to strengthening and diversifying the leadership of mission-driven organizations. A belief in the power of exceptional leadership and an unwavering commitment to service excellence, integrity, and impact animate the firm. IM enjoys a nearly 83% returning-client rate and completes more than 300 search assignments each year across the entire civic sector. IM has practices in higher education, healthcare and academic medicine, science and technology, PreK-12 education and education improvement, conservation, environment and natural resources, associations, foundations, arts and cultural organizations, human and social service agencies, and advocacy organizations.
IM’s more than 200 staff members share a fundamental commitment to its clients’ missions, motivating them to continue to achieve outstanding results. IM’s work is guided by the following ideals and principles that drive business forward and to which the company is held accountable:
• Diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Craft excellence.
• Intellectual curiosity.
• Generous collegiality.
• Support of growth opportunities.
• Social impact.
These core values anchor IM today and the firm’s aspirations for the future. They guide firm strategy, client service, teammate recruitment, day-to-day interactions, and the firm’s and its peoples’ drive for continuous improvement.
For additional information about the firm, please visit www.imsearch.com
THE ASSOCIATE ROLE
Associates are talent recruiters, relationship builders, writers, and project managers. They support the project work of Partners who build client relationships, develop business, and ensure the successful and high-quality completion of each search.
Over time, Associates undertake additional responsibility and have the opportunity to progress in the firm and build their own search practices. As Associates continue to expand and grow their competencies, breadth of experience, and level of independence, they can progress to the Senior and Managing Associate levels.
Associates carry several search projects simultaneously, each on its own timeline, and are involved in all stages of the search process. They collaborate with the Partner in developing and executing research and networking strategies, recruiting and screening candidates, conducting candidate references, managing due diligence, overseeing timeframes, and preparing for and participating in client presentations.
Senior Associates have more independent client contact and assume greater responsibility for client and candidate management than Associates. Senior Associates may conduct in-person candidate interviews and have standing to address candidate and client questions and concerns independently throughout the search process. Managing Associates have acquired all search execution skills and effectively manage a search project from start to finish. As they develop a reputation in the market, Managing Associates begin to build the foundation of a search practice, preparing for the next step to Partner.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ASSOCIATE
Associates work on matrix teams with a partner and their search coordinator. Upon joining the firm, the Associate will be expected to perform the following tasks:
• Scope the position with the client through initial site visits with the Partner to gather essential information, including the nature of the role, the challenges facing the organization, and the client’s ambitions for moving the organization forward. Following the visit, an Associate is generally expected to write, edit, and proofread much of the first draft of the position description.
• Develop a deep and diverse pool of candidates through exhaustive research and accurate and persuasive phone and email communications with sources and potential candidates, supported by the use of IM’s proprietary database. In concert with the Partner, an Associate is expected to develop and implement networking strategies for each search, remaining flexible in their approach to ensure appropriate responses to client and market feedback.
• Evaluate potential candidates with respect to their organization, industry, and the needs of a particular client. Associates assess candidate credentials, and credibility, both on paper and through in-depth phone interviews. Senior Associates may also conduct longer in-person and/or video interviews with candidates.
• Maintain positive relationships with clients and candidates. Every individual with whom we connect is a potential candidate, source, client, or combination of the three. An Associate’s role is heavily oriented toward networking and recruiting, and they are often an individual’s first point of contact with IM. Associates must ensure a positive first impression through courteous and timely correspondence and follow-through. Associates maintain contact with candidates throughout a search, keeping them informed and engaged. In addition, Senior Associates often serve as a point of contact for the client, responding to requests and providing updates.
• Present the pool to the client via in-person and virtual meetings. In consultation with the Partner, the Associate drafts memos and supplemental documents and is responsible for the accuracy, clarity, and consistency of the information and materials presented.
• Manage the flow of knowledge obtained during a search regarding candidates, sources, and clients by regularly updating the firm’s database. In addition, Associates must routinely brief Partners on the overall progress of a search, market feedback, and individual candidate situations. Alongside Search Coordinators, Associates also oversee the flow of candidate information to the client.
IM seeks Associate candidates who are drawn to the firm’s belief in the power of exceptional leadership and an unwavering commitment to service excellence. An investment in the success and integrity of the firm as a whole is essential, as is a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and the cultural competence to work effectively across multiple lines of difference. While no one candidate will possess all of them, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes.
Candidates for the Associate position must possess a Bachelor’s degree, two to eight years of progressively responsible professional experience, and many of the following qualities:
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Maturity and discretion in maintaining strong relationships with multiple constituencies, often involving issues of confidentiality.
• The ability to build rapport with people at all levels of an organization.
Judgment and Knowledge
• The capacity to extract and persuasively articulate the ambitions of and challenges facing client organizations.
• The ability to evaluate the accomplishments, credibility, and organizational fit of prospective candidates using evidence-based assessment.
Organization and Project Management
• The ability to take initiative and work independently, but also to know when to ask for guidance.
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to juggle competing priorities and consistently meet deadlines.
• Conscientiousness in producing high-quality work and attending to detail.
• A collegial and collaborative nature and the inclination to learn from and offer assistance to colleagues.
• Intellectual curiosity and a commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
• Relational talent and an engaging personality.
• Honesty, openness, and a healthy sense of humor.
APPLICATION, COMPENSATION, AND BENEFITS
Please visit www.imsearch.com/IMcareers to learn more about the opportunities offered at IM, and to submit application materials in confidence. Applications should include a resume as well as a cover letter explaining your interest in Isaacson, Miller and the Associate role.
As an employee-owned firm, IM offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a non-contributory health and dental offering as well as participation in a profit-sharing pension plan and an employee stock ownership plan.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are embedded in Isaacson, Miller’s mission, founding impulse, core values, and practice. From the start, IM has worked hard to recruit outstanding leaders across lines of difference and has been gratified to serve clients who share IM’s core values. IM has successes to celebrate and looks forward to continued growth and learning. Through the firm’s commitment to be a diverse and welcoming community of colleagues where everyone can thrive, all become stronger and empowered to provide the very best service to IM’s clients and contribute to a vital and powerful civic sector.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IM is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a safe work environment for its employees free of discrimination and harassment. IM hires the most qualified individuals for each position, and does so without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all areas of employment for all employees.