CDC Small Business Finance is a leading U.S. small business lender and award-winning nonprofit. Over the last four decades, CDC has provided more than $13 billion in loans to 11,000 entrepreneurs...and counting.
Unlike a traditional lender, we have the flexibility to offer affordable loans to a broader range of small business owners seeking financing for building purchases, major equipment and working capital, among other purposes.
As a non-profit organization, our mission is to support those who face the greatest obstacles in securing capital: women, minority and veteran-owned businesses. Our business loans have also played a critical role in bolstering economic development, helping create or preserve more than 180,000 jobs in California, Arizona and Nevada.
Under the direction of the Director of Business Advising, the Business Advisor will consult with potential and existing small business owners and provide assistance to their business operations with 1:1 advising, electronic support, professional referrals and more.
- Coordinates the business advising (technical assistance) needs of CDC’s small business loan clients. Clients primarily in Southern California but also throughout the state and some outside the state
- Consult with potential and existing small business owners; assess and analyze business needs; assist in researching, planning and problem solving for starting or maintaining a small business; assist in developing marketing plans
- Assist in developing, implementing and facilitating various community service courses, workshops, seminars and counseling events related to business topics including financing, legal requirements, marketing and other related issues
- Develop survey instruments to evaluate program effectiveness; conduct surveys of program participants to determine participant needs; interpret and record survey results; implement program changes in response to results
- Maintain activities and performance to comply with funding contracts and program objectives
- Accomplish advising milestone objectives and maintain client progress portfolio according to established policy and procedures
- In collaboration with Business Advising Team, evaluate and provide recommendations to strengthen client management systems to effectively meet program goals
- Strong small business background. A passion for small business owners and entrepreneurs!
- Experience with business consultation and providing technical assistance to small businesses and entrepreneurs
- Able to manage multiple priorities and multiple clients effectively
- Experience developing small business finance curriculum and materials including:
- Cash flow projections, business plan development, experience with developing accurate P&L, B/S and Statement of Cash Flow financial reports and educating client companies on utilizing these resources
- Identify and communicate KPI’s for small business clients
- Identify the need for, and have the skills to effectively communicate and educate clients on the fundamentals of business (occasionally personal) finances
- Strong speaking and communication skills; able to give presentations to large groups
- Able to consult one on one with clients
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google and business accounting software (I.e. QuickBooks or similar)
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, solves problems
- Ability to speak Spanish highly desired
- Must have own vehicle with insurance
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in business or economics.
- Experience using Zoom or other digital meeting tools
- Job requires extensive travel by vehicle across Southern California (when allowable). Employee will be reimbursed for mileage (this requirement has been modified with COVID restrictions)
- Medical, Dental, Insurance Plans for Employees and Family
- Paid Term Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance Plans
- Paid Short/Long-Term Disability Insurance Plan
- Paid Employee Vision
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care (Section 125)
- Competitive salary plus incentives; dependent on experience
CDC Small Business Finance is committed to an inclusive and diverse culture. We are passionate about creating a workplace that welcomes, promotes and values diversity. Our focus on a diverse culture elevates our work and helps us achieve greater impact. The result is a stronger and healthier work environment which leads to greater innovation and deeper insights. We view our decisions through an equitable lens to best support our mission to always realize an inclusive and diverse organization.