Wayside Publishing is offering an opportunity for experienced and passionate world language educators to transition their classroom skills into a new setting as a member of our Digital Innovation and Instructional Technology Team. The Instructional Technologist facilitates educational technology-rich teaching and learning by providing evaluation and technical support related to Wayside Publishing’s online learning management system for online, hybrid, and web-augmented courses. This includes support for Wayside Publishing’s Learning Site and digital learning platforms as well as other training resources for staff, teachers, and students.
In-depth knowledge of and experience with implementing standards-based, world language instruction is critical for this position. This role, reporting to the Product Manager, will be working with cross-departmental teams including Product Development, IT, Instructional Development, Customer Service, and Marketing staff. You will empower teachers to make instructional shifts to teach for proficiency within a digital learning environment. Most importantly, you'll be directly involved in expanding the adoption of proficiency-based language education around the country and having a voice in the Educational Technology pedagogical vision of Wayside Publishing.
This is a full-time, position with frequent (up to 50%) travel throughout the US.
- Successfully presents both in-person and online technical training for schools that purchase or pilot our language programs.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with current and prospective customers.
- Works collaboratively and effectively with teachers to integrate student learning outcomes into the design, development, implementation, and management of instructional content, courses, and projects within Wayside’s online learning management system to enrich teaching and learning.
- Provides technical support for all online learning management system instructional initiatives to improve learning outcomes, facilitate technology-rich teaching, and advance teaching innovation.
- Assists in enhancing teaching and learning through the identification, evaluation, adoption, and integration of effective educational technology innovations into the classrooms and Wayside Publishing Learning Site.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders, information services, and others to create, review, edit, and share findings for comprehensive evaluation.
- Collects and disseminates information pertaining to best practices in educational assessment, curriculum development, and technology-infused innovations.
- Creates training materials to accommodate customers and provides resources for teachers.
- Attends and/or gives presentations at events that are required by state and district adoption committees.
- Evaluates relevant emerging technologies that have potential value for teaching and learning.
- Generates activity reports as well as coordinates and documents projects.
- Contributes to internal thinking and collaborative groups to shape the LMS direction and vision of Wayside.
- Collaborates with internal teams to ensure that products are meeting the needs of teachers and schools.
- Identifies and shares developments and technology trends in world languages with our product development team and information technology team.
- Researches and monitors competitors' products in order to develop and maintain a clear understanding of their approach to language learning.
- All other duties as assigned.
We are a dynamic, fast-moving company and all our positions require flexibility and occasionally additional responsibilities that may include providing other employees with support.
Please note that due to the current Pandemic this position will be remote until further notice, with the expectation of returning to the office as soon as reasonably possible.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in Educational Technology, Education Second Language Acquisition or related field from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrates expertise and 6+ years' experience of successful world language teaching required
- Experience as an Instructional Technologist, Instructional Developer, or Instructional Designer preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish or French is required
- 3-5 years' in-depth experience with LMSs such as Canvas, Schoology, and Google Classroom
- Experience with proprietary learning technology solutions and learning management systems
- Experience with Online Course Quality Assurance
- Possesses experience with creating and giving presentations for schools, professional organizations, and education conferences.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively deliver in-person presentations and webinars.
- Adopts new technologies with ease.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and at least one additional language.
- Works well independently in the office or a home office environment under limited supervision, as a member of a remote team
- Lives within commuting distance of a major U.S. airport and enjoys frequent travel (less than 50%)
- Demonstrates unquenchable desire to further language education
- Possesses a growth mindset and values innovation
- Takes initiative with a positive, can-do attitude and welcomes feedback
- Values a friendly, cooperative, and collaborative team environment
- Is attentive to details and respectful of deadlines
- Adheres instinctively to basic grammar rules
- Learns and applies new skills quickly
- Responds to stressful situations calmly and effectively
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- Health insurance with options for supplemental insurances (Dental, Vision, Accident)
- Short Term and Long-Term Disability policies paid by the company
- Life insurance policy paid by the company with options for increased coverage
- Retirement savings plan with company contribution
- Paid holidays
- Work/life balance as a company value
Wayside Publishing is a K-12 publisher based in Freeport, Maine. Our language learning strategies embrace and reflect those endorsed by current research and by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Our goal is to engage students and teachers across the country in the pursuit of interculturality, global citizenship, and lifelong learning. Join our team.
To be considered for this position, submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or emailed applications, please.