WHO WE ARE
For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for low-income individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change.
CCLS seeks dedicated staff attorneys to provide high-quality legal services, from advice and brief services to full representation. Candidates will be considered for opportunities in all legal practice areas, including Senior/Consumer Law, Housing Law, Health Law, Family Law, and with our Legal Advice Line.
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: All Experience Welcome
Location: Fresno, Visalia, or Merced Office (as needed)
Term of Employment: Regular, Full Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Salary Range: DOE ($59,712 to $91,404)
Open Until Filled
2. Cover Letter addressing the following questions:
- Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, doing advocacy work with a low-income community. What skills and qualities did you bring that were important to the effort? What did you learn?
- Please describe your leadership experience, if any.
- Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
- Do you have particular interest in being a Legal Aid lawyer? If so, please tell us about that.
3. Three Professional References
4. Legal Writing Sample
BENEFITS PACKAGE OVERVIEW
- 7.5 hour work day / 37.5 hour week
- 14.5 Paid Holidays
- Free wellness counseling & resources
- Union protection for applicable positions
Rewards for Dedication
- Annual pay increases
- Overtime for Hourly/Non-exempt staff
- Compensatory Time for Salaried/Exempt staff
More than Base Pay
- School Loan Assistance up to $500/month
- Bilingual Pay up to $90/month
- Home internet reimbursement of $25/month
- CCLS issued laptop & cell phone
- CA State Bar dues paid in full
- Mileage reimbursement
- CCLS contributes to staff 403(b) plans starting at the one-year anniversary:
- Year 1 to 2 – 1% of salary contributed
- Year 2 to 3 – 2% of salary contributed
- Year 3 to 4 – 3% of salary contributed
- Year 4 to 5 – 4% of salary contributed
- Year 5+ - 5% of salary contributed
Group Health Insurance
- Coverage begins 1st of the month following hire date
- CCLS pays 100% for staff health insurance coverage
- CCLS pays 67% of staff dependent health insurance coverage
- Low-Cost Plans for: Dental PPO & Vision Insurance; Long term disability & life insurance
- Workers Compensation coverage
Cash Out Options
- Vacation Cash Out: Accrued vacation cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
- Compensatory Time Cash Out (Exempt Staff): Accrued comp time cashed out & added to paycheck upon request. Comp time over 75 hours paid out automatically
- Overtime Pay Out (Non-Exempt Staff): OT paid out within 30 days of accrual, per State standards
Computer Loan Fund
- Up to $1,500 interest free loan to assist staff with personal computer purchase
State Bar Exam Leave & Loan
- Protected leave for CA Bar Exam
- Interest-free loan for Bar Exam & study course fees
- Up to 8 weeks salary advance
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply. This is position is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement.