Streetsense is an experience-focused strategy and design collective. We create brands people love and places people love to be. Our interdisciplinary nature allows us to collaborate constantly and approach every challenge with collective intelligence.
Streetsense is deeply invested in its people. From competitive benefits and team events for staff, Streetsense is focused on fostering a collaborative environment that inspires employees each and every day.
This position is based in Bethesda, MD but is temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
We are looking for a dynamic Director, People + Culture who will focus on enlivening our People First culture and work to provide the best experience for employees, candidates, and alumni.
You will identify key needs and drive change from the ground up to accelerate Streetsense through its next stage of growth and development. You will oversee all expects of People by providing strategic and tactical support. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to culture building, performance management, recruitment, engagement, retention, change management, benefits, training, HR compliance, and leading diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
You will be an integral part of the leadership team and serve as a strategic partner and trusted advisor, contributing to overall company strategy and goal-setting processes. You will be the evangelist of culture and employee engagement while also taking an active role in ensuring company goals in growth and profitability are supported. You are a people strategy and employee engagement expert, while also possessing compliance and tactical HR skills and knowledge. You will supervise a small HR team including a Talent Acquisition Manager and an HR Coordinator.
Key Tasks + Responsibilities
- Oversee internal recruiting strategy and process and, as needed, relationships with external staffing firms
- Mesh hiring with related KPIs and strategic planning
- Develop and publicize the employment brand to continue to attract top talent
- Coordinate with Talent Acquisition Manager to review annual headcount budgets and regularly meet with business unit leaders and hiring managers to understand and anticipate hiring needs and timelines
- Develop a career path “road map” across the organization
- Coordinate with Talent Acquisition Manager and hiring managers to develop and maintain job descriptions and defined job roles
- Stay up to date with workforce trends and continue to improve recruiting and onboarding processes
- Track trends related to retention and attrition based on exit interview data
- Design, compile, and deliver results of periodic staff surveys with the assistance of HR Coordinator
- Live our culture and core values in everything you do
- Ensure a cohesive, shared corporate culture across multiple offices
- Promote connections between core values and achievement of company goals and objectives
- Develop an employee feedback loop to gather continuous improvement ideas and to let employees know they are being heard and understood
Retention: Training + Education
- Partner with managers and team leads on career pathing
- Own training and education initiatives including leadership training, risk management, and professional development
- Identify outside resources, as needed, to supplement internal programming
- Create and implement functional training such as performance review writing, feedback delivery, and conflict management
- Drive and influence talent assessment and performance management throughout the organization with the goal of achieving a culture of high performance
Retention: Organizational Development
- Develop a clear corporate structure and manage and maintain up-to-date organizational charts
- Oversee the performance management program including creating accountability through targets with clear measures
- Work to professionalize and scale the HR department and the broader organization to prepare for future growth
- Identify and implement HR department efficiencies
- Develop programs to support growth and geographical dispersion, such as a formal telework and virtual employee program
- Develop high performer programs to elevate and empower key employees
- Lead people and HR integration efforts for future acquisitions
- Develop an alumni program to foster “Streetsense for life” and leverage for employee and client referrals
HR Compliance, DE+I, and General Matters
- Oversee HR Coordinator to: (1) Ensure compliance with relevant federal, state, and local labor laws; (2) Administer certain benefit programs, such as education assistance plans; (3) Conduct annual benefits enrollment; (4) Review, update, and disseminate our Employee Handbook
- Work with CFO and CEO to develop compensation plans
- Review and make recommendations for annual benefit program, including providers
- Lead Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE+I) program and oversee vendor selection for DE+I training
We are looking for a confident People Management and Human Resources (HR) professional with 10+ years of experience, including work with creative agencies and/or professional services firms.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and, preferably, your PHR certification and/or SHRM certification
- Passionate about driving growth and facilitating change for the company through a focus on its people
- Process-oriented leader who is fluent in all aspects of HR
- Embrace innovative HR solutions and process improvement with a demonstrated ability to think analytically and develop creative solutions
- Highly creative mindset, passion for people, and consistently high energy and enthusiasm
- Known for your effective time management, analytical, and organizational skills
- Unphased by a high-volume workload with multiple priorities
- Expertise in communicating all types of messages across mediums
- Experience with all the usual software: Microsoft Office, HRIS, and Applicant Tracking Systems