Job Title: Public Safety Officer
Reports to: Public Safety Manager
Type of Position: Non- Exempt/Hourly
Employee Classification: Seasonal
Pay Range: $12 - $14/hr.
Job summary: The Public Safety Officer works within the Public Safety Department to handle all matters that pertain to public safety, security, parking, and traffic control. This position will spend extended periods of time interacting with the public- serving as one of our first point of contacts with passengers and guests. Our ideal applicant thrives in dynamic environments, managing multiple tasks at once while maintaining a positive, energetic and friendly demeanor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Grant and restrict access to company buildings, grounds, and property.
- Control vehicle traffic in and around parking lot and pedestrian crossings.
- Assist with crowd control and flow of pedestrian traffic around railyard.
- Monitor and assist customers while on property during normal business hours and during any afterhours events.
- Handle cash and credit card transactions from paid parking lots..
- Thoroughly complete guest and employee incident and security reports to be submitted to HR, Senior Management and Supt of Operations.
- Periodically patrol property and structures to ensure safety and security for staff and guests.
- Interact in a friendly, courteous, and respectful manner with public and staff.
- Follow all safety requirements including compliance with all DSNGRR procedures, safety, and operating rules.
- Help maintain a clean and safe work environment for customers as well as employees.
- Act as crossing guard during train operations and switches.
- Identify and report safety or security concerns to supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
Education, Skill and Work Experience Requirements:
- Must be dependable, reliable, and able to work both independently as well as with others.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in written and verbal English.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful or difficult situations.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and focus during all types of different situations.
- Must have good customer service skills with a focus on being friendly, patient, courteous, & respectful of all individuals regardless of the nature of the situation.
- Varied work environment with a majority of time spent outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Long periods spent standing, walking or moving on uneven ground around railyard and railroad equipment.