Palomar Holdings, Inc. (“Palomar”) is the ultimate parent and insurance holding company of its operating subsidiaries. Palomar is an innovative insurer and managing general agency that focuses on the provision of specialty property insurance for residential and commercial clients. Palomar’s underwriting and analytical acumen allow it to concentrate on certain markets that it believes are underserved by other insurance companies, such as the markets for earthquake, wind, and flood insurance.
Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, we are seeking both experienced professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping us build a unique brand in the insurance business. If you are looking to thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, energetic, and hard-working team.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.plmr.com. No phone calls or agency solicitation please. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At Palomar, we are committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our employees, customers, partners, suppliers, and job candidates. We are actively monitoring the situation related to COVID-19 and are continuing to hire qualified candidates to better serve our customers. To ensure your safety as a job candidate and compliance with our COVID-19 protocols and recommendations/guidelines from the CDC, State and Local Health Officials, we may be relying on virtual interviewing and other digital communications. Our recruiting team is committed to providing the support you need throughout the hiring and onboarding process. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility during this time.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title: Statutory Reporting Manager
• Palomar Holdings has an exciting opportunity for a Statutory Reporting Manager to join our diverse team. We are looking for an experienced finance professional with strong leadership and project management skills to join a team of individuals in the preparation and filing of Palomar Holdings’ members’ statutory financial statements. This role requires a solid understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles including following latest emerging guidance from NAIC. The Statutory Reporting Manager will play a crucial role in providing accounting and regulatory subject matter expertise in supporting business development and strategic activities, special projects, and capital relief initiatives. This leader must have the presence and communication skills to interact effectively with internal leadership on a regular basis.
• The Palomar Group of companies currently includes the following P&C risk bearing entities: an admitted insurance company, an E&S insurance company, and a Bermuda captive.
• Reports to: VP Statutory Reporting
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
• Manages/prepares STAT financial statement preparation and analysis
• Manages the production and NAIC/state filing of Statutory quarterly and annual financial statements (Yellow Book)
• Manages the completion of all supplemental reporting/filings for all insurance companies in multiple states.
• Manages the gathering, analyzing, and prioritizing financial deliverables to facilitate review and analysis for the department and senior management
• Stays informed of new accounting standards and NAIC developments
• Prepares and reviews complex financial reports and schedules as well as executive summaries
• Assists with preparation of RBC forecasts as requested
• Works with external Auditors and Regulators in responding to their requests, including DOI audits
• Assist in researching new and existing SEC reporting/STAT requirements
• Drive best in class internal control environment and ensure data integrity of the financial statements
• Trains and mentors statutory accounting staff as needed
• Supports special project requests relating to Financial Reporting and Analysis that require skills related to the understanding and application of technical accounting standards and financial reporting including SEC reporting requirements and Statutory accounting basis requirements
Education Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
include a working technical knowledge and demonstrated experience in the areas of financial accounting and regulatory reporting and analysis
• Highly motivated, detail-oriented individual with a minimum of 7+ years of progressive experience in Statutory Accounting Principles and NAIC insurance filings
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
• 3+ years supervisory experience in similar role
• Solid understanding of Statutory accounting principles and GAAP financial reporting concepts
• Ability to perform technical accounting research (SAP & GAAP), document, and implement
• Ability and desire to dig into the details of a new transactions and regulation
• Public company experience a plus
• Solid analytical skills
• Excellent written/verbal communications and listening skills
• Demonstrates ability to work independently and meet project deadlines and work within a fast-paced, project-driven and team environment - Ability to multi-task regularly
• Proficient knowledge of MS products (Excel, Word, PPT)
• Solid understanding of consolidation principles
• Knowledge of statutory reporting software
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Palomar is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement to all qualified individuals, regardless of race (including traits associated with race), color, creed, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.