Opportunity for an experienced personal injury attorney to join a well-established, expanding, highly profitable PI law firm.
We offer a flexible work environment with the opportunity to work remotely for a portion of the workweek and completely remote during COVID. Highly competitive compensation and very attractive incentive plan based on fees generated; also an opportunity to earn additional compensation through privately generated cases.
1. Manages a case load comprised of both "litigation" and "pre-litigation" cases while effectively communicating/advocating on the clients' behalf. Thoroughly and accurately completes Preliminary Case Reviews (PCRs) in a timely manner. Manages the organization of the files with timely resolution of claims/causes of action. Effectively and cost-effectively utilizes firm-resources (e.g., investigation), retains appropriate experts, and manages the overall workload with proper delegation and supervision of staff. Implements case strategy and keeps Partner assigned to the case fully apprised of any and all developments and going "up stream" when necessary.
2. Analyzes the potential outcomes of cases, and participates openly in meetings with the Partner assigned to the case to develop a strategy for handling the claim/cause of action. Manages legal team and delegates assignments; ensure all deadlines are met. Oversees and conducts research and preparation of legal documents including Complaints, Motions, Pleadings, Briefs, Memos, Correspondence, Petitions, Written Discovery, Mediation Presentations, and other documents. Ensure completion of Service of Process according to firm and legal standards.
3. Communicates, whether in person, over the phone, or through ESA approved electronic means, consistently and effectively with clients to exercise legal expertise, manage client concerns / expectations, provide updates to clients on the progression of cases/claims, and to ensure comprehensive case management. All clients must be contacted every 30-60 days, documenting all interactions.
4. Obtains, reviews, and summarizes necessary material to support and prove both "damages" and "liability" on a case, with the ability to weigh the costs and benefits of obtaining certain material against potential limitations on the ability to make a recovery ("maximizing client recovery").
5. Ensures the accuracy of and authenticates all production going out of the office to insurance adjusters or other legal counsel representing the interests of our clients.
6. Determines the validity of all potential liens, and when applicable negotiates a reduction in such liens.
7. Manages the "coordination of benefits" relative to the payment of our client's medical expenses, ensures that all available insurance coverage has been appropriately paid relative to medical expenses, manages the tracking of client's personal out-of-pocket payments on medical bills/expenses, and manages the tracking of outstanding medical bills that are the client's responsibility. Effectively communicates any potential outstanding amounts that are the client's responsibility directly with the client, works with the client with repayment options, and negotiates reductions (coordination of Act 6 reductions, or reductions directly with the medical provider) as necessary.
8. Consults with the partner to communicate findings/developments in a case, and to determine an overall case management strategy. Escalates all concerns as soon as they develop.
9. Provides effective and proactive leadership as a coach and role model to direct reports and other ESA support staff, to include performance management (and ensuring behaviors are in sync with core values), professional development, and guiding the team to achieve innovation and success.
10. Assists the partner with litigation / trial support, legal research, and tasks as requested, including, but not limited to, the drafting of legal documents such as complaints, motions, pleadings, briefs, memos, correspondence, petitions, written discovery, mediation presentations, and other documents.
11. Assists in the representation / advocacy of clients as requested in legal proceedings, including, but not limited, to magisterial level courts, coordination with criminal courts with victim advocacy programs/restitution programs, presentation/hearings on petitions to settle claims, and oral argument on motions as requested by the partner.
12. Independently handles Estate matters, including but not limited to formally opening an Estate in the appropriate county, drafting documents as required to effectively administer the Estate, etc.
13. Provides periodic call duty to assess and speak with potential clients during evening hours and weekends, and where appropriate under ESA standards meets with and follows the ESA protocol to sign-up a client / take appropriate pictures of the client.
14. Collaborates and directs support staff to appropriately represent client interests, and ensures that these tasks are carried out according to ESA standards.
The right candidate has the following skills:
Great legal acumen – able to identify, analyze, and solve legal issues in a competent and timely manner
Excellent litigation skills – maintain independent litigation skills; appropriate knowledge of related fields (e.g., medical knowledge, estate, matrimonial, creditors rights, bankruptcy, elder care, government-related areas of law, insurance, workers comp)
Impeccable ethics and honesty – willing to participate in the firm’s ProBono program
Courageous Leadership – open to self-assessment and feedback; willingness to work on developing one’s self as a leader; demonstrates empathy; participates willingly in firm leadership development coaching and training initiatives
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Accountability – takes responsibility for adhering to firm’s standards related to SOL’s, case handling procedures, etc.; holds direct reports accountable for deadlines, and an excellent work product
Engagement – has a passion for the profession of law and actively demonstrates that passion with clients and colleagues; actively participates in local bar associations and PI organizations
Mentors and Supervises staff and other attorneys
Client First – always puts clients first in every decision; understands the client is the lifeblood of the firm
Proactive/self-starter – does not have to be prompted to take action; can operate independently