Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Falls Church, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Work with the Pro Bono Managing Attorney to coordinate and implement virtual or in-person brief advice and referral immigration legal clinics including logistical planning, pro bono volunteer recruitment and training
- Manage monthly case list and place individual matters for representation with pro bono attorneys
- Provide case management for pro bono matters including performing intake interviews for potential clients, screening cases for placement, responding to inquiries for legal assistance, and matching clients with pro bono attorneys
- Recruit, train and mentor volunteer attorneys to ensure effective pro bono representation
- Promote pro bono opportunities by maintaining relationships with law firms, individual volunteers, legal services organizations and community stakeholders
- Collaborate with Ayuda staff attorneys to place pro bono cases with volunteer attorneys
- Develop materials and trainings for pro bono attorneys
- Represent a limited number of clients in direct legal representation
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and produce regular program reports for funders and grantors as needed
- Participate in internal and external conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed
- Other duties as assigned
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- J.D. or LL.M from an accredited law school
- Current bar membership in good standing to practice law in any of the United States
- One to three years of immigration legal experience particularly in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas
- An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of issues involved in working with diverse communities
- Detail oriented and able to meet deadlines
- Organized, able to work in a fast-paced environment and multitask
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly to diverse audiences
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse multidisciplinary team
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethics, able to maintain confidentiality and a positive work environment
- Proven problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems, and recommend solutions
- Second language fluency required (preference given to Spanish and Amharic speakers)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with the interest and ability to learn other software programs
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary is commensurate with experience and comes with a robust benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
TO APPLY: Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. This position will be primarily located in DC, however we would consider hiring a candidate for our Virginia location if necessary.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled: Ayuda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.