Duration: School Year per contract
Reporting to: Dean of Faculty/Principal/Head of School
Schedule: Monday through Friday (plus scheduled events)
Hours: FT (7:50 – 3:20)
Rooted in the Dominican tradition, St. Agnes Academy provides a Catholic college preparatory education that encourages young women to develop intellectual curiosity, to work for social justice and to act with integrity and compassion.
St. Agnes Academy teachers educate within the high school academic level. They teach, inspire, advise, critique, question and counsel to bring out the best in our Academy women.
Faith, Community, and Dominican Charism
• Ensure that the four pillars of a Dominican education (prayer, study, community, preaching) are developed and promoted among the school community.
• Develop an active faith community and model Christian values.
• Incorporate prayer and spiritual formation within the student, faculty/staff and parent communities.
• Uphold and implement the Dominican charism and the Houston Dominican Sisters’ congregational goals.
The main responsibilities will include:
• Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
• Follow the faculty expectations outlined in faculty handbook.
• Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
Be familiar and enforce student handbook policies.
• Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust strategies.
• Prepare required reports on students and activities.
• Participate in department, school and parent meetings.
• Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and needs.
• Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
• Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
• Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments in a timely fashion and update systems accordingly.
• Communicate and partner with parents in a timely manner.
• Participate in student/faculty activities (such as retreats, lunch duty, faculty meetings, in-service activities).
• Follow school emergency procedures.
• Collect and submit names for underclass, junior book and senior awards (Madonna Day)
• Work cooperatively with your course team to plan lessons and assessments. As well as meet with your vertical team to ensure alignment of skill sets and methodologies.
• Other duties as deemed necessary by the Department Chair, Dean of Faculty, Principal, Head of School.
• Commitment to embrace the mission of St. Agnes Academy
• Minimum of a four-year B.A./B.S. degree
• Teaching certificate or twelve credit hours in education courses
• Experience teaching in an independent school and/or an all-girls environment a plus
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Professional attitude and appearance
• Completion of Safe Haven training
Specific Academic Area Requirements:
• Strong knowledge of history and/or social science enabling the teacher to deliver content effectively.
• Model a love of history and/or social science for students.
• Skill in teaching the art of writing historical analysis.
• Work collaboratively with your course team to plan lessons and assessments.
This job operates in a professional/educational environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit at a desk, move about the classroom, communicate via phone/face to face, manually input data into a computer, walk to different office areas, reach with hands and arms, and minimal lifting.