Work with the Project Clean Slate Team
We are in search of a professional paralegal and/or legal assistant to aid and assist attorneys on our Clean Slate Project. Project Clean Slate is an initiative of the City of Detroit Law Department which helps residents seek expungement of their criminal records, so they are able to gain access to better employment, housing, and educational opportunities
As a paralegal your role will entail supporting the attorneys on the Project Clean Slate initiative. This program is under the supervision of the City of Detroit. The job function ranges from supporting the Lead Attorney, pulling criminal records, ordering court records, communicating with potential clients, e-filing pleadings, and providing notary services. Please note this is not an exhaustive list of the duties.
• Attorney support, including communication with clients and court staff
• Retrieving criminal records (also known as ICHAT) and court Registers of Action
• Court record ordering (including arranging payment and retrieval) and follow up
• E-filing pleadings using MiFile and other court filing systems
• Providing notary services
• Other Administrative and or secretarial work
Knowledge & Attributes:
• Customer Advocacy - Understanding customer needs is key to process improvement.
• Communication - Effective verbal and written communication skills at all levels of the organization; essential for the many roles you may fill, i.e.
• Passion - Must be self-motivated, have initiative, and have a positive personality.
• Change Leadership - Demonstrated performance as a change agent in the past; ability to deal well with changes and setbacks.
• Program Specialties - Specific experience in law related fields is required.
• 3-5 years of experience as paralegal, legal assistant/secretary/office manager
• Notary (preferred)
• Familiarity with court processes and e-filing
• Advanced knowledge of Smartsheet