The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Staff Accountant with excellent attention to detail to join our Accounting and Finance team. The Staff Accountant will prepare and maintain financial records to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss and other related financial activities.
Although we are all working remotely at this time due to COVID-19 restrictions, the candidate would need to reside in the Chicagoland area and be able to come into the office a few times a week, once it’s safe to do so.
• Perform general accounting and other related duties for the organization
• Assist in completion of monthly financial statement close process
• Prepare and record daily, monthly, quarterly and annual journal entries
• Prepare monthly balance sheets, income statements and statements of cash flow
• Prepare bank and balance sheet account reconciliations
• Assist with the preparation and maintenance of the annual consolidated and individual departmental budgets
• Prepare budget-to-actual reports, perform variance analysis and report significant issues to management
• Prepare a monthly reconciliation of bank accounts and other general ledger accounts
• Maintain petty cash fund
• Provide external accounting firm with assistance; gather necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit and tax return
• Provide administrative support to management as requested
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Experience using ERP financial systems
• Ability to research FASB codification preferred
• Ability to troubleshoot and research solutions to problems
• Ability to manage projects in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated budgeting, time management and organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
What We Offer
• Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
• Comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays and commuter benefits
• Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
Sun-Times Media Productions does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.