GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3
million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a
livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. In
particular, our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and GrowNYC
Wholesale ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest and healthiest local
Greenmarket promotes regional agriculture and ensures a continuing supply of fresh local
produce for New Yorkers. Greenmarket supports farmers and preserves farmland for the
future by providing regional, small family farmers with opportunities to sell their fruits,
vegetables, and other farm products directly to New Yorkers.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof that they are at least two weeks post completion of a primary series of COVID vaccines (as defined by the CDC) before beginning work. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
Greenmarket Seasonal Market Manager - Position Summary
Market Managers are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they
work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell
their products and keep their farms viable. The Market Manager position is seasonal and is
comprised of three equally important pillars – operations, promotions, and food access.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Oversee market set-up – coordinate placement of farmers’ tents and vehicle parking according to the market layout
- Set up and break down GrowNYC information tent, folding tables, and performing other physical labor
- Complete daily reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned deadlines
- Follow and enforce market rules and regulations
- Manage conflict in the market, between farmers, customers, and the public as it arises
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisor, and on-going trainings
- Perform SNAP/EBT, debit/credit, and cash transactions at sites and maintain accurate records
- Manage at-market nutrition incentive currencies and ensure that it is balanced after each shift
- Educate customers on a variety of food access and incentive programs
Promotions & Outreach
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers, community leaders, city employees, local merchants, etc. while representing Greenmarket
- Work with supervisor to plan at-market promotional events (varies by site)
- Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets and the use of SNAP/EBT at markets
- Willing to work every scheduled shift throughout the season, including weekends and holidays
- Early riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong communicator who enjoys talking and working with people of all backgrounds
- Works well both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable working with the public in a variety of NYC neighborhoods
- Passionate about farming, farmers markets, local agriculture, cooking, and/or food access
- Fluency in multiple languages is a big plus (especially, but not limited to, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese)
- Valid driver’s license for at least 1 year with a satisfactory driving record, and willingness to drive a cargo van throughout NYC (not for all positions)
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for periods of up to 10 hours. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential
10-25 hours per week part-time, or up to 35 hours on a full schedule.
• Greenmarket shifts start as early as 6AM, last 8-10 hours each, and include 1-2 hours of paperwork per market shift, and weekly meetings
• Shifts placement can depend on individual skillsets (driving, language skills, etc.), location of sites, and logistics
• Most Greenmarkets shifts are on Saturdays and Sundays, but we schedule shifts 7 days a week.
• Two paid at-market trainings and ongoing training throughout the season, both virtual and in-person
The position is a non-exempt, part-time, variable hourly position. It pays $19 per hour and
includes only statutory benefits.
Greenmarket operates sites in all five boroughs – all locations are outdoors.
GrowNYC/Greenmarket is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires
without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.