Job Classification: Non-Exempt Position
Type: Variable Temporary
Reports To: HR Manager
The HR Interns work under the supervision of the HR Manager to provide administrative support to the HR department. They post and remove job advertisements as needed, schedule interviews with shortlisted candidates, coordinate files and electronic employee data, and gather pertinent payroll data.
• Monitor timekeeping system and adjust employee punches as necessary;
• In conjunction with the review administrator, monitor employee performance reviews; track six month raise compliance;
• Work with HR Generalist and applicable stakeholders to develop, prepare, conduct, and track employee training, book training spaces, and coordinate equipment;
• Administer HR Systems and Information, including employee information updates and Phone Extension List;
• Track onboarding actions for newly hired staff and assign new employee orientation;
• Complete and send requests for information from Government entities and vendor requests for information;
• Maintain employee records and ensure confidentiality of information;
• Provide communications information needed for the Staff Scoop in a timely manner;
• Assist in posting new positions as requested by the HR Generalist;
• Assist in updating benefits deductions in HR systems and completing benefits-related mailings;
• Respond to requests for leaves of absence with applicable paperwork, document leave cases on the Leave Log;
• Participate in HR Department Projects, provide feedback and suggestions to HR Manager;
• General administrative support, including ordering and distributing staff gear and coordinating staff events;
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
The Human Resources Intern is privy to a large amount of highly confidential information including but not limited to: pay rates; employee’s personal information; insurance elections; retirement plan elections and balances; issues related to charges of discrimination and harassment; issues related to corrective action; terminations; and employment disputes. The Human Resources Intern must observe strict confidentiality in all matters.
This position operates in a professional environment, but may be required to meet or work with employees in areas that are not temperature controlled or may be busy and crowded. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
This position may require sitting up to eight (8) hours per day, but also involves frequent walking and standing. This position requires the ability to regularly speak and hear, as well as the ability to type on a computer and operate a phone.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity
Weavers Way Co-op is committed to equal opportunity in employment practices, including recruitment and hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Weavers Way will be based on performance, qualifications and capabilities. Employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religious beliefs, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other protected characteristic established by law.
Education, Experience, and Competencies
• Enrollment in a college-level program in a related field required, HR program preferred;
• Prior office or administrative experience preferred;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to speak to large groups and professionally communicate with varying levels of employee;
• Ability to work with and protect confidential information;
• Ability to listen, critically evaluate issues, and remain calm under stress;
• Attention to detail and organizational skills;
• Ability to work well in a team environment;
• Commitment to the mission and goals of Weavers Way Cooperative Association.