Marketing Director Job Description:
Hardywood’s marketing director is a new executive level role, which will develop and implement the company's promotional strategy, lead its marketing team, and collaborate with management to achieve success while staying true to the company’s “Brew with Purpose” philosophy. The marketing director will work closely with the sales director and hospitality directors to grow both wholesale and retail (taproom) sales by implementing and carrying out an effective marketing strategy.
- Direct Hardywood’s marketing team, comprised of a marketing associate and several outside contractors, including graphic designers, artists, photographers, videographers, and animators.
- Explore and engage new roles, including new internal hires and new outside agencies, as needed to achieve overall business objectives.
- Establish a clear promotional strategy that aligns with Hardywood’s brand priorities, its annual release schedule, and its events calendar.
- Work together with leadership to develop new brands and brand concepts based on current industry trends and areas of opportunity. Establish a formal commercialization plan for new items that will be launched throughout Hardywood’s distribution network.
- Prepare leveraged marketing budgets for each individual wholesaler designed to maximize promotional investment impact in line with Hardywood’s brand development priorities and its annual release calendar. Develop and coordinate digital, print, and out-of-home campaigns to align with this budget, and manage bill backs with wholesalers in accordance with distribution agreements.
- Provide analytics and follow up on the effectiveness of each campaign, with concrete action steps to improve the effectiveness of each subsequent campaign.
- Oversee branding development and any necessary rebrands to establish a cohesive and unique brand identity across all product lines.
- Guide our customer relationship management program, including the oversight of any CRM platforms utilized on both the retail (attracting taproom visitors) and wholesale (engaging distributors and retailers) side of the business.
- Lead public relations efforts, ranging from proactive PR meetings with industry journalists and influencers to managing and providing guidance when inevitable public relations challenges arise.
- Manage the consistent evolution of social media properties to grow the audience for, and interest in, the Hardywood story.
- Ensure Hardywood’s website remains the most updated and comprehensive resource for information about Hardywood, its history, its beers, its facilities, and its events. Optimize the integration of related portals such as the Beer Finder (VIP), our e-store (Shopify), and our forthcoming QR code on-site ordering system (Toast).
- Work together with Taproom Director and Events Director to ensure all taproom events in both locations (Richmond and West Creek) are effectively promoted well in advance. Utilize on-site opportunities to promote upcoming events, and the purchase of Hardywood beer from retail accounts. Implement new ways to promote on-site offerings, including the food and beverage program, private event space rentals, catering, guided tours, and tent/gazebo/fire pit rentals. Establish a comprehensive signage program to standardize, simplify, and enhance signage throughout Hardywood’s taprooms and breweries.
- Collaborate with hospitality directors on effective promoting and operating of the Family Tree Beer Club. Work on membership retention and growth, and new ways to provide flexibility (ex. rolling admission).
- Work with HR/office manager to effectively promote new job openings.
- Provide oversight to merchandise development, establishing a comprehensive lineup of apparel, glassware, and other items for sale within our taproom stores, and to use as promotional items in the market. Coordinate with hospitality leadership on the effective promotion of merchandise in the store, online, and via social media, as well as on proper inventory management practices.
- Further develop and formalize Hardywood’s Brand Standards Guide, educating team members, wholesalers, and retailers on the effective use of this formal Standards Guide, and enforcing deviations from established standards as needed.
- Assist with high level internal communications as needed.
- Other related assignments as needed.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Team oriented.
- Proficiency with digital communication platforms, including Google Workspace applications, Slack, and Basecamp.
- Experience in all forms of digital content creation, including photography, videography, video editing, graphic design, and animation.
- Leadership, strategic thinking, and project management are core competencies for this role.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a related field. Masters degree preferred. Five or more years of related managerial or leadership experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Beer and alcohol beverage industry knowledge and experience is beneficial, though a desire to learn is adequate for this new role.
The marketing director will report to the co-founders. Direct reports include a marketing associate and contracted graphic designers, artists, photographers, and other content creators.
Information Required for Application:
Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter. Please also answer the following questions:
- What does our motto, “Brew with Purpose,” mean to you, and how can you help us achieve business success while staying true to our core philosophies?
- What is your assessment of Hardywood’s current marketing strategy, and what are some fundamental ways we can evolve this strategy to elevate our reputation and grow demand?
- How can your unique set of talents help Hardywood to succeed?