Laird Norton Wealth Management, the Pacific Northwest’s largest independent wealth management firm, is seeking a full-time Controller to join our team. Located in downtown Seattle, LNWM is dedicated to helping high-net-worth individuals and families manage, preserve, invest, grow, and eventually distribute their wealth.
The Controller is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the accounting department and plays a key role in supporting the strategic planning initiatives of the firm. As a critical member of the Finance team, the Controller provides proactive insight, guidance and support to the firm’s leadership.
The Controller’s duties include, but are not limited to:
- Management: Acting as the primary internal and external point of contact for the accounting department; responsible for developing, monitoring, and controlling the accounting department’s budget; working closely with other professionals, including outside accountants, attorneys, bankers, insurance brokers and regulators, to effectively accomplish responsibilities; trains and develops other team members.
- Corporate Accounting: Responsible for monthly and annual financial reporting cycles, consolidated financial statement preparation, and other financial materials for review and presentation to CEO and BOD; managing internal processes and controls; ensuring sound accounting reconciliations and records; supervising independent audit of financial statements and independent internal audit of accounting cycle controls; maintaining current accounting knowledge sufficient to record financial transactions in accordance with GAAP; maintain AUM & revenue reporting and forecasting models; administering business development incentive program.
- Finance/Treasury: Managing treasury functions; managing the preparation of financial forecasts and ad hoc reporting to support management in making operational and policy decisions; preparing the firm’s annual and rolling budgets, including coordinating departmental budget with department managers; preparing five-year revenue and EBITDA forecasts; overseeing the management of corporate credit card program for employees; supporting annual insurance renewal process and document plan changes.
- Tax/Regulatory Reporting: Preparing partnership LLC income tax calculations and estimates; reviewing tax consolidated federal and state income tax returns; serving as the point person for IRS and Department of Revenue tax audits; overseeing the preparation and filing of monthly and quarterly reporting for State and City B&O tax returns; overseeing the preparation and filing of annual personal property tax affidavit; responsible for quarterly and annual financial reporting to the State of Washington Department of Financial Institutions; responsible for working with regulators, including DFI and SEC, as needed in the course of regulatory audits.
- Typically, five or more years of experience in progressively challenging, accounting based positions with experience working with and reporting to senior management and providing Board level support.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- CPA certification – earned and active.
- Demonstrated experience in financial modeling.
- Strong preference for corporate or partnership tax expertise.
Skills and Attributes
- Working knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems including EPICOR.
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Demonstrates good organizational skills.
- Ability to delegate appropriately.
- Ability to take a leadership role in developing others.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team environment that strives for consensus wherever possible and seeks success of the team rather than the individual.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as evidenced by ability to professionally, personally, and effectively interact with clients and co-workers and contribute to a respectful work environment.
- High ethical standards and the ability to place the clients’ needs before one’s own.
- Experience in handling sensitive and confidential subject matter.
Candidates must meet all employment qualifications in force at time of hiring, including successful passing of background & credit checks and any pre-employment examinations, signing of all employee agreements, and have the ability to perform the essential functions, duties and responsibilities set forth in a consistent and efficient manner.
Benefits: Laird Norton Wealth Management offers excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage, generous time off, flexible spending plans for health care and dependent care, 401(k) plan, paid transportation pass, and more.