Bilingual (English/Spanish required)
Stavros Center for Independent Living, Inc. is seeking to fill a full time Youth Services Advocate position. Our mission at Stavros is to help persons with disabilities and Deaf people develop the tools and skills they need to take charge of their own lives. We accomplish this through programs and services designed to meet the needs of persons of any age or disability as they work to achieve the life goals that are important to them.
- Meet with young adults to create and/or review Independent Living Plan by identifying goals and objectives within a month of referral.
- Provide peer counseling, skills-training, service coordination, self-advocacy and social recreation services to individuals enrolled in Stavros Youth Service Programs.
- Co-facilitate and facilitate group skills training, social recreational, community advocacy sessions/events with young adults who identify as having a disability.
- Provide education, training, and support to parents of transition age youth through quarterly groups and individual meetings.
- Research and identify community resources consistent with the needs of young adults receiving services.
- Conduct outreach activities to identify young adults eligible for Youth Services.
- Participate in meetings and trainings as determined by supervisor. This can include but not limited to staff trainings, meetings with contract holders, needs for advocacy and such things that provide opportunities to young adults who identify as having a disability to engage in educational and advocacy efforts to further their understanding of disability rights.
- Assist with other duties within the youth services department when needed.
- Advocate must have personal experience with disabilities and have an ability to relate to individuals on a one-to-one basis, as well as in a group setting.
- They should possess good written and verbal communication skills; easily establish rapport with other people; have or develop a knowledge of the transition process for young adults with disabilities; and be totally committed to the ideas of independent living and equal rights for all people.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. AA/EOE