Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, we are seeking both experienced professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping us build a unique brand in the insurance business. If you are looking to thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, energetic, and hard-working team.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.plmr.com. No phone calls or agency solicitation please. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title: Sr. Financial Analyst
Primary Location: La Jolla, CA
• This newly created position will have a key role in the budgeting, forecasting, and reporting process for the Company.
• Opportunity to work with a small team, touch multiple areas of the business, and have significant autonomy and responsibility, leading to fast learning and development for the right person.
• The right candidate works extremely quickly and efficiently, while producing accurate work and maintaining excellent attention to detail.
• Candidate will report to Vice President- FP&A and SEC Reporting
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
• Oversee and manage preparation and revisions of certain areas of the Company’s operating budget and forecast.
• Assist with reporting actual financial information compared to expectations and reporting key financial trends and drivers of variances;
• Develop and maintain a thorough understanding the business, key operating metrics, and financial trends and proactively investigate and explain unusual or unexpected results;
• Work with stakeholders across multiple departments to understand their business expectations and needs and translate this work into financial forecasts;
• Forecast revenues and expenses from new agreements or partnerships;
• Support special projects and perform ad-hoc analyzes in multiple business areas;
• Proactively identify and implement process improvements on an ongoing basis;
• Support overall financial reporting process, possibly including certain parts of the SEC reporting process.
Attributes and abilities of a successful candidate:
• Ability to analyze results, trends, and data at the lowest level of detail and present the findings to senior management in a succinct and understandable fashion;
• Analytical and questioning mind; ability to calculate and understand expected trends and relationships and investigate and explain root causes of differences from expectations;
• Comfort with change and ambiguity; our business is predicated on being adaptable and moving quickly to seize opportunities;
• Ability to provide quality work on tight deadlines; while we will make every effort to plan, sometimes things come up and we need to work quickly to meet our deadlines;
• Solution-oriented approach and positive attitude; when issues arise and processes need improvement, must maintain positive attitude, and provide possible solutions rather than complaints or excuses;
• Must strike correct balance of working hard and taking work seriously, while being an approachable, helpful, and nice teammate.
Education Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance;
• At least 4-7 years’ experience in public accounting, a combination of public accounting and private company experience, or significant experience in FP&A for an insurance company;
• An insurance background may help but is not required. Must be willing to learn our business in detail and constantly refine understanding as the business evolves;
• Extremely solid understanding of accounting and FP&A principles is a must. CPA or progress thereto is a plus.
• Solid understanding of consolidation principles would be extremely helpful.
• Experience extracting data from an accounting system (we use Intacct) and quickly summarizing and analyzing this data would be a plus.
• Experience with reading contracts or agreements and creating forecasts based on those agreements might be a plus;
• Experience with an FP&A system (we do not currently use one but may consider in the future) might be a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Palomar is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement to all qualified individuals, regardless of race (including traits associated with race), color, creed, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
At Palomar, we are committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our employees, customers, partners, suppliers, and job candidates. We are actively monitoring the situation related to COVID-19 and are continuing to hire qualified candidates to better serve our customers. To ensure your safety as a job candidate and compliance with our COVID-19 protocols and recommendations/guidelines from the CDC, State and Local Health Officials, we may be relying on virtual interviewing and other digital communications. Our recruiting team is committed to providing the support you need throughout the hiring and onboarding process. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility during this time.