The Staff Accountant will amass the necessary knowledge and information to assist the Finance department with maintaining financial records and reports, performing account reconciliations, assisting with budget and close processes, and maintaining and processing accounts payable documentation. The Staff Accountant will be a member of the Finance team and will assist as needed, responding to information and audit requests.
- Managing accounts payable using Blackbaud and Papersave accounting software.
- Handling accounts payable for separate entities and vendors, including analyzing workflow process and coding of accounts to ensure consistency across locations and regulatory compliance.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with new and existing vendors
- Ensuring bills are paid in a timely and accurate manner while adhering to departmental procedures and state and Federal requirements, including following up on invoices, reviewing vendor monthly statements, and accessing statements on-line.
- Processing transactions and performing accounting duties such as account maintenance, recording entries and reconciling books of accounts.
- Managing the corporate card program activity, including downloading of transactions to employees for monthly expense reports, follow up of delinquent reports, and posting of transactions.
- Meet established timelines and perform all duties in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Support timely monthly, quarterly and year-end financial close including assigned journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations, accruals, and overall maintenance of all operational management accounts.
- Support the annual budgeting process, including Assisting in providing schedules and commentary with respects to operating maintenance accounts results and variances.
- Monitor policies and procedures for assigned departments and identify and suggest improvements for accounting reporting and recording procedures.
- Comply with federal, state, and local financial requirements by reviewing existing and new legislation and maintaining compliance.
- Continue ongoing education by participating in webinars, and workshops to stay abreast of best practices.
- General Office responsibilities including answering and responding to Main finance office number, sorting and reviewing mail, processing check deposits, and scanning and filing of documents.
- Work collaboratively with Finance Dept and entire Clarke Team.
- Reporting skills and deadline-orientated individual.
- Attention to detail, and strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to operate independently and to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact with cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Passion and alignment with the organization’s mission.
- The ability to stand or sit for long periods of time at a desk
- The ability to carry or lift up to 25 lbs. occasionally
Education, licenses, certifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field (required).
- Minimum of three year’s experience in accounts payable, general ledger, grants, and non-profit accounting, with working knowledge of GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite products and accounting software, Blackbaud products a plus.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
**Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
*** Title IX Notice of Nondiscrimination: Clarke Schools does not discriminate on the basis of sex in admission, administration of its educational programs or activities or employment. Clarke Schools is required by Title IX and its implementing regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 not to discriminate on the basis of sex in admission, administration of its educational programs or activities or employment. The Chief Human Resource Officer, Karen Katsanos, MA, MBA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, 45 Round Hill Road, Northampton, MA 01060, telephone number 413-582-1155, has been designated as the employee responsible for coordinating Clarke Schools efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under Title IX. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 to Clarke Schools may be referred to Karen Katsanos or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, at 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-1100, telephone number 800-421-3481.