Job Title: Clinic Receptionist
Department: Spay/Neuter Clinic
Reports To: Clinic Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Full-time
The Sacramento SPCA is a vibrant, well-established and respected non-profit animal welfare organization. Through our nationally-ranked high-volume spay and neuter clinic (we are ranked as one of the top 10 clinics in the country!), successful adoption program, behavior and training programs and more, the Sacramento SPCA is giving more than shelter and saving animals one life at a time.
The Clinic Receptionist assists the public with animal spay and neuter services by scheduling appointments and answering questions and concerns. The clinic front desk team member is also responsible for transcribing surgical and medical notes into the shelter management computer database. Individuals in this classification state and clarify the Sacramento SPCA policies and procedures to the public and are expected to maintain a positive and receptive environment for those customers visiting or calling Sacramento SPCA.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides outstanding customer service.
- Answers high volume, multi-phone system.
- Schedules surgical appointments and completes animal surgical records.
- Monitors the client message line and returns all phone messages for scheduling surgical appointments within 24 hours. Checks email regularly throughout the day to respond to appointment requests and general inquiries.
- Performs data entry, general filing, fills out forms, manages cash register and cash handling including daily paperwork, and other administrative type duties.
- Communicates SSPCA policies and procedures positively and professionally to the public, the principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the SSPCA.
- Provides pricing quotes and inquiries into animal health history.
- Aids the general public and their animals when they arrive and depart for surgical appointments.
- Must be patient and committed to a high standard of safety. Must be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Treats all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, both on and off the job and transmits these values to others.
- Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and coworkers in a responsive, positive, courteous and truthful manner.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to make correct change and follow accounting procedures.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend instructions, reports, short correspondence and memos.
- Able to meet minimum typing speed of 40 WPM while talking with customers.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Basic office skills: Word processing computer, cash register, 10-key, calculator, copy/fax machine and answer telephones in a prescribed manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Must have basic mathematical and accounting skills.
- Valid California Drivers license with a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or GED equivalent with 6 months customer service experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferred: six months animal experience: handling, breeds, vaccines and basic knowledge.
- Ability to read, write, speak, spell and understand English at a level commensurate with professional job performance.
- Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles or equipment, may be a disqualification.
- Must stand, walk, bend, stoop, and sit regularly to perform duties. Have the ability to perform strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
- May be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public. Must be able to deal with an often times emotion-charged public and carry a fast paced and changing work load which at times can be stressful.
- By nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to dead, injured, sick, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals in addition to exposure to parasites and to infectious diseases.
- Must be available and willing to work such weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.