Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance is the largest orthopaedic surgery group in Nashville and Middle Tennessee. TOA concentrates on the diagnosis and treatment of disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system which allow our patients to live their best life. Ninety plus years later we are advancing the practice of orthopaedic surgery throughout the state.
There are a number of reasons why TOA is an employer of choice; here are a few of them:
- Stability - TOA has been in Middle Tennessee since 1926 and has expanded to nearly 20 locations!
- Impact - TOA’s team members use our careers – whether in our clinics or our business office – to make a positive difference in the community by building relationships and helping patients live their best life.
- Work Environment - The TOA team focuses on fostering an excellent working environment; one of positivity, collaboration, job satisfaction, and engagement.
- Total Rewards - TOA offers competitive salaries based on the current Middle Tennessee wage market, plus a comprehensive suite of benefits, including Medical, Dental, Paid Time Off, and more. Our 401(k) plan provides a company match, safe harbor match and profit sharing match to go along with your contributions.
As a Surgery Scheduler at TOA, you are responsible for the coordination and scheduling of patient surgeries and diagnostic testing with a high attention to detail and complex planning. To create a smooth and satisfying patient experience, this process starts by verifying insurance coverage and obtaining any necessary pre-certifications for the procedure, notifying the patient of their financial responsibility, coordinating the best time and location for the patient, and preparing the patient with any information they will need to know before the procedure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Coordinate surgical procedures and diagnostic testing with patients by reviewing patient and physician availability using our scheduling tool.
- Coordinate with TOA affiliated surgery centers to ensure there is reserved space and equipment for the testing/procedure.
- Inform patients of any pertinent information regarding preparation for their testing/procedure as directed by the physician to avoid the need for rescheduling.
- Determine patient insurance compatibility with TOA’s managed care plans and enter new insurance information, pre-certifications and referrals correctly into the system.
- Verify that existing coverage, precertification’s and referrals are accurate in the system while escalating any complicated issues to the immediate manager.
- Place phone calls to patients, patient’s family/significant others, insurance companies and facility personnel in an attempt to acquire information necessary to verify insurance coverage for the testing/procedure being requested.
- Update any incorrect or outdated information and notify the collections department for rebilling of claims as necessary.
- Utilize the TOA workflow daily appointment report to prioritize any surgical procedures or diagnostic testing that need to be scheduled.
- Adhere to best practices standards in performing day-to-day follow-up tasks, including following procedures outlined in the “VOI Training/Procedure Manual”.
- Adhere to HIPAA and OSHA safety guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Previous successful working experience handling referrals, authorizations and surgery/test scheduling.
- Previous successful working experience with payer eligibility electronic returns, ICD-9/ ICD 10 CPT Coding and differentiating between insurance plans, copay, deductible, coinsurance.
- Demonstrated success coordinating several complex tasks with several different parties internally and externally to create a cohesive patient experience.
- Demonstrated success with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated proficiency with EHR, NextGen preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with centralized scheduling tools.
- The TOA team focuses on fostering an excellent working environment; one of positivity, collaboration, job satisfaction, and engagement. Surgery Schedulers will be assigned to work in one of TOA’s clinics at an assigned cubicle. The clinics experience high patient volume and as a result have associated stressors that come along with a fast-paced environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud with other staff members talking on the phones and collaborating in close proximity.
TOA is an equal opportunity employer. TOA conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers