Job Title: Special Education Teacher
Full-Time - 10 month Instructional Contract
Reports To: Director of Specialized Services
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
EEO-1 Classification: Professional
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country. High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self-aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being. YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The programs three core values - respect ,excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
The Special Education Teacher is responsible for providing direct instruction to students, individually or in small groups, to enable students to access material being taught and improve outcomes. The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for a caseload of students including: writing IEPs; holding IEP meetings, and progress monitoring.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide curriculum support and training for all teachers and continuous staff development that supports school division initiatives.
- Model and coach instructional methods in a variety of settings (whole group and small group) and provide follow-up support.
- Provide ongoing training and follow-up in the use of assessment tools and data collection.
- Select instructional materials and assist teachers in developing differentiated lessons and materials to meet student needs.
- Participate in collaborative instructional planning.
- Assess students using a variety of measures to determine appropriate placement and specific instructional needs.
- Maintain a comprehensive inventory of instructional materials and resources.
- Participate in parent conferences and provide instructional suggestions
- Perform other duties as assigned.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- PA Certificate in Special Education N-12
- Three-years’ experience as a Special Education Teacher.
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or
- applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry,
national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition,
veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
An Equal Opportunity Employer