The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is currently seeking candidates for its part-time, seasonal role Garden Assistant in the Preservation department at Taliesin. Under the direction of the Director of Preservation or their assignee, the Garden Assistant supports the landscapes team in maintaining the grounds and landscape that enhance the health and beauty of the environment that is integral to the UNESCO World Heritage Site and National Historic Landmark Taliesin campus. The Garden Assistant adheres to safety and established systems and processes in support of Foundation departments, Taliesin Preservation, and the Taliesin Fellowship. Note: this position is available on a schedule that is approximately 20 hours per week, lasting April - October.
- Mows selected lawn areas, trims around all building, trees and site walls.
- Assists with proper upkeep of fountains, swimming pools, planters, sidewalks, and other grounds features with a concentration on tour paths on the estate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must meet legal age requirements for employment in Wisconsin
- Awareness/knowledge of basic landscape tool use, blower, trimmer, push mower, rake, broom
- Commitment to following safety policies and procedures at all times
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to foster cooperative relationships with staff, the Taliesin Fellowship, contractors, vendors, and the general public.
- Ability to understand and follow Foundation and departmental policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work effectively individually or as a team member in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and unexpected events or delays.
- Ability to work up to 20 hours a week as scheduled and occasional nights and weekends as required by supervisor.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all kinds of weather in suitable clothing.
- Valid driver’s license
- At least two years related experience in building and grounds maintenance
- Previous experience performing similar duties at a historic property
- Familiarity with Frank Lloyd Wright, Taliesin, and/or the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and consistently talk or hear; and rarely taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and regularly carry 15-20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- OSHA Risk Classification for COVID-19 Exposure: Lower Risk (Caution): This position has minimal occupational contact with the public and other co-workers and is therefore determined to fall within the Lower Risk category as defined by OSHA. To further minimize risk, employees are required to follow the Foundation's Safe and Healthy Workplace guidelines and related personal and facility infection control policies.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.