CDC Small Business Finance is a leading U.S. small business lender and award-winning nonprofit. Over the last four decades, CDC has provided more than $13 billion in loans to 11,000 entrepreneurs...and counting.
Unlike a traditional lender, we have the flexibility to offer affordable loans to a broader range of small business owners seeking financing for building purchases, major equipment and working capital, among other purposes.
As a non-profit organization, our mission is to support those who face the greatest obstacles in securing capital: women, minority and veteran-owned businesses. Our business loans have also played a critical role in bolstering economic development, helping create or preserve more than 180,000 jobs in California, Arizona and Nevada.
Under the direction of the Director of Business Advising, the Business Advisor will consult with potential and existing small business owners and provide assistance to their business operations with 1:1 advising, electronic support, professional referrals and more.
Primarily coordinates the business advising (technical assistance) needs of CDC’s small business loan clients and prospective clients in the greater Detroit area. Business Advisor will also coordinate CDC services with other small business technical assistance and capital providers in the Detroit area, as well as manage relationships with partners. The position will be a “trusted connector” in the community and be knowledgeable of other programs and resources supporting small businesses. The focus will be in the Detroit metropolitan area, but we anticipate the business advisor to also support small businesses in the greater Wayne County Region.
- Consult with potential and existing small business owners; assess and analyze business needs; assist in researching, planning and problem solving for starting or maintaining a small business; assist in developing business and marketing plans.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and facilitating various community service courses, workshops, seminars and counseling events related to business topics including financing, legal requirements, marketing and other related issues.
- Develop survey instruments to evaluate program effectiveness.
- Maintain activities and performance to comply with funding contracts and program objectives.
- Develop advising milestone objectives and update client progress in tracking software called Ventures+.
- In collaboration with Business Advising Team, evaluate and provide recommendations to strengthen client management systems to effectively meet program goals.
- Strong small business background. A passion for small business owners and entrepreneurs!
- Experience with business consultation and providing technical assistance to small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and multiple clients effectively.
- Experience developing small business finance curriculum and materials including:
- Understand and develop realistic Cash Flow projections, business plan development, experience with developing accurate P&L, B/S and Statement of Cash Flow financial reports and educating client companies on utilizing these resources.
- Identify the need and have the skills to effectively communicate and educate clients on the fundamentals of business (occasionally personal) finances.
- Strong speaking and communication skills; able to give presentations to large groups.
- Able to consult one on one with clients.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google and business accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks or similar).
- Understand digital marketing tools and techniques, and cloud-based management systems.
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, solves problems.
Should have own vehicle with insurance
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in business or economics.
- Experience using Zoom or other digital meeting tools
- Job requires extensive travel by vehicle across the region (when allowable). Employee will be reimbursed for mileage (this requirement has been modified with COVID restrictions)
- Medical, Dental, Insurance Plans for Employees and Family
- Paid Term Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance Plans. Paid Short/Long-Term Disability Insurance Plan
- Paid Employee Vision
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care (Section 125)
- Competitive salary plus incentives; dependent on experience
CDC Small Business Finance is committed to an inclusive and diverse culture. We are passionate about creating a workplace that welcomes, promotes and values diversity. Our focus on a diverse culture elevates our work and helps us achieve greater impact. The result is a stronger and healthier work environment which leads to greater innovation and deeper insights. We view our decisions through an equitable lens to best support our mission to always realize an inclusive and diverse organization.