Terms of Employment: Full-Time/Non-Exempt
Location: New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, NY, NY 10004 (Remote position for an extended period of time due to COVID-19)
Salary: Subject to the NYCLU’s salary scale and commensurate with experience and qualifications ($45,741-$57,377)
Application Deadline: Applications will be considered until the position is filled
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people.
The New York Civil Liberties Union is seeking a full-time paralegal to assist its attorneys involved in civil rights and civil liberties litigation. The paralegal will be based in the NYCLU’s New York City office, but travel within New York State may be required. The NYCLU’s Legal Department is comprised of fifteen lawyers, an investigator, two paralegals, a research analyst, and a senior legal assistant. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts. They also participate in the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU.
· Prepare and execute filings of a variety of legal documents, including briefs, motions, court forms, petitions, subpoenas, and discovery documents;
· Maintain electronic and paper case files, including pleadings, correspondence, discovery, and other materials;
· Communicate/coordinate with clients, court personnel, co-counsel, partner organizations, etc.;
· Draft correspondence, declarations, notices, and various court/legal documents;
· Manage logistic for depositions, oral arguments, court hearings, and other events;
· Assist attorneys with legal and other research, including cite-checking and Internet searches;
· Support various investigatory, research, advocacy, and case-related projects as needed;
Take minutes, assist with scheduling, update website case pages, help with word processing, and carry out other general clerical and administrative duties.
· Bachelor’s degree;
· Two years’ experience as a paralegal;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat;
· Excellent word processing and proofreading skills;
· Superior verbal and written communication skills;
· Ability to work well with others in a collegial and diverse environment;
· Ability to work well under pressure, including some evenings and weekends;
· Ability to manage time and tasks independently, problem-solve, and manage multiple projects simultaneously; and
· Ability to maintain confidentiality
· In addition to the above requirements, fluency in Spanish or other languages; knowledge of legal terminology and legal principles; familiarity with legal case management software; familiarity with legal citation conventions; experience with electronic court filing systems; experience with electronic legal research tools (i.e., Westlaw, Lexis); experience with handling data and using data-analysis software (such as Excel); and prior experience with public interest organizations will be considered a plus.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/538290/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Paralegal . Given the number of applications received, NYCLU will only contact applicants selected for interview.
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
The NYCLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.