Avarint’s Chemical Sciences Group is seeking a Laboratory Technician to support an experimental team conducting Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E) at our Springville, NY location. Primary duties will include:
· Providing laboratory support to research scientists and project managers in the planning and performance of chemical test programs;
· Conducting laboratory activities in accordance with written standard operating procedures with an emphasis on safety;
· Setting up and preparing experimental equipment; preparing test samples and calibrating equipment and analytical instrumentation;
· Accurately documenting laboratory activities, test observations and experimental results in laboratory notebooks;
· Performing other experimental support activities including sample collection, sample analysis, data acquisition and results reporting;
· Contributing to technical reports and helping review data sets for accuracy and compliance with QA/QC guidelines;
· Operating, maintaining and troubleshooting of analytical test equipment (GC, GC-MS and/or LC-MS/MS) and working closely with project managers and technical teams to schedule instrument time and adjust methods to meet project objectives; and
· Leading post-experiment clean-up, waste collection and waste disposal.
The position also requires that the selected candidate possesses:
· Excellent hands-on laboratory skills.
· A willingness to work with chemical agents and other chemicals including toxic industrial chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
· Excellent organizational skills and communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to appropriately communicate with colleagues and management to support the planning and execution of projects.
· Ability to learn new methods and techniques.
· Attention to detail and the flexibility and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
· Ability to wear personal protective equipment including air purifying respirators.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
· BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry or other related discipline with 1-3 years of professional experience in a chemistry laboratory. OR
· AAS in Chemistry or other related discipline with 4-6 years of professional experience in a chemistry laboratory.
· Experience with Microsoft Office software including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION:
· Experience with Microsoft Project and SharePoint.
· Experience in contract research, working for the federal government and/or private organizations on government contracts.
Candidate will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. U.S. citizenship is required. The position requires participation in a Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP), administered by the U.S. Army. A medical examination will be required to ensure ability to perform duties and wear personal protective equipment. Candidate will also be required to comply with a Drug Testing Program.