PETA is looking for a smart, quick, and creative animal advocate to hype up our animal rights campaigns into provocative written content that will change hearts. You should have experience writing and promoting content for a brand or nonprofit and/or experience working in a digital newsroom. You should be accustomed to creating, editing, and posting several stories each day. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a fast-paced digital environment, is vegan, have true enthusiasm for the work, and be a champion for all animals.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Write breaking news briefs for PETA.org, often with deadlines of 30 minutes to 1 hour
• Write catchy, exciting headlines for dozens of news articles, action alerts, emails, blogs, op-eds, and other articles daily
• Write features for PETA.org including aggregation-style features and longer-form pieces on animal testing, companion animals, and entertainment.
• Post articles on PETA's websites as needed, ensuring flawless presentation of text and multimedia elements (including editing and uploading photos with proper credit and permissions)
• Follow breaking news in the animal rights world closely and suggest compelling clickable stories to your manager daily
• Liaise with PETA's social media team to ensure proper promotion of all news content
• Liaise with PETA’s legal team, stakeholders, and editors to ensure accuracy for all content
• Create and carry out marketing plans for PETA's online news content
• Track and analyze Web traffic and the success of online news, making changes in strategy accordingly
• Research and explore new promotion possibilities and Internet technologies
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
• College degree in a related field or equivalent experience
• Minimum one year of breaking news experience in a fast-paced newsroom environment, either as part of a national media company or in a marketing-based role
• Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule or weekends or weeknights occasionally
• Demonstrated extensive knowledge of animal rights issues, vegan living, and PETA campaigns
• At least one year of experience building posts and uploading photos to a content management system
• Ability to edit photos in Photoshop, Canva, or other software
• Demonstrated exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Proven ability to work well under pressure and within tight deadlines
• Support for PETA's philosophy and the ability to advocate PETA's positions on issues professionally
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization
This job excludes CO applicants.