For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
In this role, you will act as leasing agent for multiple Bellwether properties by responding to telephone and in-person requests for information on vacancies and resident qualification requirements. Prescreen potential applicants for eligibility. Assist applicants in completing rental applications. Submit completed rental applications to Compliance for processing.
Prepare resident leases and resident move-in materials. Utilize property management software to track applicants.
Ensure excellent customer services to residents and prospective residents.
- Provide professional, responsive, unbiased, caring and knowledgeable interactions with applicants and current residents.
- Possess knowledge of Bellwether policies, landlord tenant law, fair housing laws, and property management software procedures.
- Be approachable, pleasant, professional, and knowledgeable in all interactions with applicants and current residents.
- Act in a calm, rational and professional manner in problem solving with tenants and staff.
- Maintain confidentiality of applicant and tenant information.
- Assist residents with SHA paperwork, reviewing for accuracy before submitting to SHA on their behalf.
Manage marketing and leasing processes.
- Assist with marketing of available units. Post advertising twice weekly on advertising platforms including Craigslist, SHA and others. Outreach and post advertisements at neighborhood businesses and bulletin boards.
- Track all sources of traffic for all prospects in Yardi.
- Assist Site Managers with competitive market surveys at least twice annually.
- Evaluate vacant units to determine potential leasing hurdles, working with Site Managers and Portfolio Managers to establish concessions or adjusting rent levels.
- Process applications and move ins in accordance with departmental operations manual
- Respond to prospects interested in housing promptly, and no later than 24 hours from initial inquiry.
- Prescreen prospects for housing eligibility. When appropriate, refer prospects to other properties in the Bellwether portfolio for which they may qualify.
- Schedule application intake appointments for prospects. Manage Outlook calendar for leasing appointments.
- Assist applicants to accurately complete rental applications and supporting documentation. Explain WSHFC income qualification guidelines and other funding guidelines or restrictions.
- Process housing application: submit screening application, obtain third party verification of income, assets, and other eligibility requirements.
- Enter application information into property management software. Update software with progress notes daily on the status of applications in process.
- Develop a collaborative system with Site Managers for applications in process, with detailed communication logs to ensure that application files are current.
- Coordinate with applicant regarding move-in date, time and move in costs. Prepare and complete move in lease documents, collect move in payments, and establish resident account in property management software. Set up SCL accounts, ensure welcome bags are in the unit and compile lease packet for Compliance.
- Maintain accurate file set up, filing and archiving of tenant files, including maintaining accurate tenant contact list.
- Occasionally assist with receptionist and general office duties at assigned properties. Assist residents with issues such as accepting and entering work orders into SharePoint and reaching out to appropriate staff for assistance, during Site Manager absences.
Engage and collaborate with Portfolio Manager, Property Management department and other Bellwether departments.
- Work collaboratively with supervisor, providing information and updates on challenges and seeking input and direction.
- Work collaboratively with social service agencies and resident services coordinators to meet resident needs and resolve problems.
- Represent Bellwether as an ambassador to the communities and neighborhoods in which Bellwether is involved.
- Embody Bellwether values of respect, integrity, community and excellence in your work. Promote a culture of trust, mutual support and accountability.
- Champion and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment.
- Work together with all Bellwether coworkers to learn effectively from and with each other, and to incorporate the lessons learned.
- Attend trainings and meetings as directed.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED (equivalent education and experience may be substituted for the stated requirements).
- Minimum of one-year prior work experience in apartment leasing or high-volume customer service role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail, capable of taking personal initiative in a project as needed, making sure all work is completed and of high quality.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Exceptional customer service aptitude, including problem-solving skills and the ability to respond quickly and tactfully to customer requests.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Positive attitude a must.
- Experiencing working with Microsoft Office user applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Prior apartment management or leasing experience in the property management industry.
- Experience leasing in low income housing tax credit properties.
- Experience in Fair Housing and local Landlord Tenant Law.
- Completion of WSHFC Fundamentals and Advanced training workshops
- Experience with Seattle Housing Authority Section 8 Project and Tenant Based programs.
- Experience working with Yardi/eSite or equivalent property management software.
- Familiarity with service-enriched housing programs.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective partnerships with community constituencies and social service agencies.
- Experience working with social service programs for diverse populations and making referrals as appropriate
Other Position Requirements:
- A personal vehicle is not a requirement of this position; however, this position requires working onsite at multiple locations. Transportation to and from multiple worksites is necessary. If using a personal or company-owned vehicle in the performance of job duties associated with this position, incumbent must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license, the appropriate amount of automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
- Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week onsite. Occasional weekends may be required to meet leasing demands.
Compensation: $21.60 - $23.61 per hour, depending on experience. Generous benefits.
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b) retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.