For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
The Senior Leasing Specialist will apply expertise in affordable housing leasing to the Bellwether portfolio, with a focus on the lease up of new properties. Assist with managing portfolio wide marketing outreach plan and advertising of available units. Collaborate interdepartmentally on Bellwether’s property acquisition strategy, assisting with property site assessments.
Ensure excellent customer service to residents and prospective residents.
· Provide professional, responsive, unbiased, caring and knowledgeable interactions with applicants and current residents.
· Possess knowledge of Bellwether policies, landlord tenant law, fair housing laws, and property management software procedures.
· Be approachable, pleasant, professional, and knowledgeable in all interactions with applicants and current residents.
· Act in a calm, rational and professional manner in problem solving with tenants and staff.
· Maintain confidentiality of applicant and tenant information.
· Collaborate with marketing team on organizational marketing outreach plan.
· Assist with marketing of available units. Post advertising twice weekly on advertising platforms including Craigslist, SHA and others. Outreach and post advertisements at neighborhood businesses and bulletin boards.
· Track all sources of traffic for all prospects in Yardi.
· Assist Site Managers with competitive market surveys at least twice annually.
· Evaluate vacant units to determine potential leasing hurdles, working with Site Managers and Portfolio Managers to establish concessions or adjusting rent levels.
· Act as key stakeholder in new building lease ups including:
o assisting in development and coordination of leasing events to meet development benchmarks;
o support leasing on-site and at lease-up events.
o Outreach to community partners, employers and businesses
o Attend bi-monthly lease up team meetings.
· Process applications and move ins in accordance with departmental operations manual
· Respond to prospects interested in housing promptly, and no later than 24 hours from initial inquiry.
· Prescreen prospects for housing eligibility. When appropriate, refer prospects to other properties in the Bellwether portfolio for which they may qualify.
· Schedule application intake appointments for prospects. Manage Outlook calendar for leasing appointments.
· Assist applicants to accurately complete rental applications and supporting documentation. Explain WSHFC income qualification guidelines and other funding guidelines or restrictions.
· Process housing application: submit screening application, obtain third party verification of income, assets, and other eligibility requirements.
· Enter application information into property management software. Update software with progress notes daily on the status of applications in process.
· Develop a collaborative system with Site Managers for applications in process, with detailed communication logs to ensure that application files are current.
· Coordinate with applicant regarding move-in date, time and move in costs. Prepare and complete move in lease documents, collect move in payments, and establish resident account in property management software. Set up SCL accounts, ensure welcome bags are in the unit and compile lease packet for Compliance.
· Maintain accurate file set up, filing and archiving of tenant files, including maintaining accurate tenant contact list.
· Collaborate with Property Management, Development and Compliance teams on property acquisition strategies.
· Attend walk-throughs of potential acquisition properties to assess and report on the physical condition of the property.
· Assist with ensuring that all property management functions are evaluated and ready for hand-off to property management prior to acquisition.
Engage and collaborate with Portfolio Manager, Property Management department and other Bellwether departments.
· Work collaboratively with supervisor, providing information and updates on challenges and seeking input and direction.
· Work collaboratively with social service agencies and resident services coordinators to meet applicant’s needs and resolve problems.
· Represent Bellwether as an ambassador to the communities and neighborhoods in which Bellwether is involved.
· Embody Bellwether values of respect, integrity, community and excellence in your work. Promote a culture of trust, mutual support and accountability.
· Champion and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment.
· Work together with all Bellwether coworkers to learn effectively from and with each other, and to incorporate the lessons learned.
· Attend trainings and meetings as directed.
· Undertake other duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or GED (equivalent education and experience may be substituted for the stated requirements).
· Minimum of one-year prior work experience in apartment marketing and leasing
· Experience leasing or managing affordable housing properties, including Low Income Housing Tax Credit
· Conversant in local, state and federal fair housing and landlord/tenant laws
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
· Highly organized with strong attention to detail, capable of taking personal initiative in a project as needed, making sure all work is completed and of high quality
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including: Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, Excel, Word, etc.
· Exceptional customer service aptitude, including problem-solving skills and the ability to respond quickly and tactfully to customer requests.
· Great interpersonal skills to apply in diverse working situations with a variety of coworkers.
· Ability to understand, interpret, and apply complex funder regulatory requirements, departmental policies and procedures.
· Dependable, self-motivated, and organized individual skilled at multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, and producing high quality work.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Positive attitude a must.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Collaborative communication style
· Experience with successfully leasing up new properties.
· Experience in Fair Housing and local Landlord Tenant Law.
· Completion of WSHFC Fundamentals and Advanced training workshops
· Certified Spectrum Certified Credit Compliance Professional (C3P) or equivalent certification
· Experience with Adobe Acrobat Pro software.
· Experience working with Yardi Voyager software
· Familiarity with Seattle Housing Authority or King County Housing Authority Project Based and Tenant Based voucher programs.
· Familiarity with service-enriched housing programs, such as Sound Families and HOPWA.
· Demonstrated ability to build effective partnerships with community constituencies and social service agencies.
· Experience working with social service programs for diverse populations and making referrals as appropriate
Other Position Requirements
· A personal vehicle is not a requirement of this position; however, this position requires working onsite at multiple locations. Transportation to and from multiple worksites is necessary. If using a personal or company-owned vehicle in the performance of job duties associated with this position, incumbent must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license, the appropriate amount of automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
· Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week onsite. Occasional weekends may be required to meet leasing demands and host leasing events.
Compensation: $25.48 - $28.06 per hour, depending on experience. Generous benefits.
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b) retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.