JMI Laboratories is a premier microbiology laboratory supporting companies in their development of antimicrobial agents. We are seeking a highly motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to lead the development of applications and data analysis of bacterial and fungal Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment to support analysis of NGS sequencing data from microorganisms collected worldwide. In addition, the candidate will contribute to presentation and publication of genomic analysis research findings in peer-reviewed publications and client reports.
This position will work with scientific staff to generate and provide next generation sequencing (NGS) analysis that might include project reports, publications, and custom analysis. Build and executes tools for data processing workflows, to facilitate data interpretation, and provides data management support. Will be involved with day-to-day data analysis of genomes and contribute in the creation or enhancement of tools to visualize complex genomic data sets, as well as improve methods for assembling NGS data.
- Develop bioinformatic software, analysis pipelines and applications to make genomics results and findings available to colleagues and superiors
- Develop new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs
- Communicate and contribute genomic results through conference presentations, scientific publications, and project reports
- Create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals.
- Consult with scientific staff to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies
- Analyze large molecular datasets such as genomic sequence data, and proteomics data for clinical or basic research purposes
- Keep informed of new methods, instrumentation, or software by reading scientific literature and attending professional conferences
- Compile data for use in activities such as gene expression profiling, genome annotation, and structural bioinformatics
- Provide statistical and computational tools for biologically based activities such as genetic analysis, measurement of gene expression, and gene function determination
- Improve user interfaces to bioinformatics software and databases
- Create or modify web-based bioinformatics tools
- Recommend new systems and processes to improve operations
- Collaborate with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software or productization of developed workflows
- Test new and updated bioinformatics tools and software
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science or a related field and 3-5 years of experience in the field.
- Hands-on experience in analyzing next-generation sequencing data is required
- Proficiency in one or more of following programing languages: C, C++, Java, Python, Perl and/or Ruby
- Experience with shell scripting in a Linux environment
- Understanding of PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Knowledge of source control practices and tools (git)
- Knowledge in microbiology is a plus
- Outstanding team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to efficiently, accurately, and succinctly communicate complex information
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a dynamic, customer-oriented environment
JMI Laboratories is based in North Liberty, IA and offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, vacation, 401(k) and profit sharing.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to submit your cover letter and resume below or email to HR@jmilabs.com
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. No recruiters or agencies please.