CSD’s UI/UX Designer will be responsible for implementing visual aesthetic elements that users see and functionally interact with in a web application and on smartphones. This position will combine the art of design with the science of programming.
The UI/UX Designer will be responsible for the translation of design wireframes to actual content, graphics, animation, and other visual elements with a user vantage point perspective. The designer will have a keen eye to ensure the alignment of web design and user experience while optimizing web pages for maximum efficiency and maintaining brand consistency. This position requires an ability to translate company and customer needs into functional and appealing interactive applications.
- Establishes and implements design guidelines, standards, and best practices maintaining brand consistency with internal team members, external designers, and programmers
- Maintains the appearance of websites by enforcing content standards with design choices to ensure user experience; optimizes existing user interface designs
- Communicates design ideas using storyboards, user flows, process flows, site maps, and wireframes
- Designs graphic user interface elements, navigation components, and search fields
- Prepares web page design plans and determines the website structure; tests for intuitive experience
- Works with marketing team to incorporate brand elements and relevant market research findings into website
- Executes all visual design stages from conceptualization to final hand-off to Engineering
- Takes ownership of design projects by utilizing data and analytics and collaborates with external clients and internal supporting teams
- Provides high quality graphics and visual elements
- Creates and maintains a database of reusable design assets, functional requirement documents and guides
- Gets feedback from, and builds solutions for users, customers, external clients and project managers to build and refine designs for websites
- Tests ideas and creates prototypes before implementing
- Determines appropriate architecture, technical solutions, and make relevant recommendation to clients
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform the essential functions of this position successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Expert proficiency in graphic design software including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Gimp and other visual design tools
- Strong command of color theory, image composition, and typography
- Proficient in developing design that is compliant with WCAG and ADA standards
- Excellent time-management skills with an ability to work independently to meet tight deadlines following design guidelines in a fast paced environment
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, interpersonal and verbal skills
- Expert knowledge of SEO and implementation best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in UX/UI design, graphic/web design, or related field from an accredited college or university; or equivalent professional work experience
- 3+ years to of professional experience in web design and development
- Demonstrable visual design skills with a strong portfolio
- Ability to communicate efficiently in American Sign Language (ASL)
Work Environment / Physical Requirements
This position is largely self-directed and requires understanding and compliance with company policies, procedures, and values. The position works in a virtual office environment utilizing a computer and standard office equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required interact collaboratively with the team and stakeholders, and communicate via phone, videophone, or text messaging. The employee may be required to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The position may require travel up to 5%.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Communication Service for the Deaf, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability status, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.